Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Items: Mess tin

Article about: Hello i have buy this mess canteen what do you think ? This is Early war or post war? Its aluminium I think. Thanks All

Default New Items: Mess tin

Hello i have buy this mess canteen what do you think ?
    This is Early war or post war? Its aluminium I think.

Thanks All
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Items: Mess tin  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Items: Mess tin
    P
    Many

Default re: New Items: Mess tin

Hi
    Russian ww2???
    Mattia

Can Anyone identify the type and makers mark?

Thanks in advance

Anyone has an idea if its german, russian, yugo, i really cant find equals, not even the marks.
    Thanks

100% not Russian. And if I interpret the date correctly, 4/46, it is probably made in 1946.

The set looks German probably post war but not my area, most other canteen sets I have seen have the makers mark and year stamped on them.
    Ben

Thanks all for opinio but the mark EHW 446 can it be 44 instead 46?

Quote by Salonete View Post
    446 can it be 44 instead 46?
    Yes it could be, but to me it seems that there's a / between two 4's. The rounded marking itself is not that of the typical TR.

mpw
    ?

In some ways it looks like a pre to early war mess tin (Kochgeschirr 31). This version was made entirely of aluminum. The lid had a rolled edged & the handle was made of aluminum as well. Large vertical aluminum lugs were used for the attachments of a steel bale. There should also be notches present on the inside of the kit's bottom denoting measurements.
    A three riveted handle is seen on the post war east German tin. Although on that type the top & bottom strap loops on the lid's handle are missing. I also believe the Russians did a copy post war although I am not sure of the strap loop arrangement.

Regards, Mark.

Default Re: New Items: Mess tin

Hi Guys, the Soviets used an alloy "German style" mess tin design both pre and post war. These were not universal issue during the Great Patriotic War as the simpler & cheaper, earlier M24 round cook pot style tin was widely issued. (These were also made post war too.)

German mess tins have external rivets to the carrying handle mountings: Soviet ones have rivets which show on the inside only. The cast mounting for the handle can vary in shape and size and design. These shown in the links are wartime Soviet issue:

WW2 Russian mess tin

WW2 Russian mess tin

Êîòåëîê óíèâåðñàëüíûé ¹ 3 - Èíòåðíåò-ìàãàçèí «ÂîåíÑïåö»

Êîòåëîê óíèâåðñàëüíûé ¹ 1

RKKA field mess tin 1941, USSR -

The similar post war produced mess tin had very cheap looking mounts for the handle which have the rivets set horizontally, to the left and right of the handle mounting, which can be seen here:

Post war issue

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast