Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Olympic Watch

Article about: Name: Watch 1.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 114.5 KB  ID: 984155 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Ok...let's get all the caveats out of the way first...this isn't mine, I know n

Default Olympic Watch

Olympic WatchOlympic WatchOlympic Watch

Ok...let's get all the caveats out of the way first...this isn't mine, I know nothing about it other than it belongs to the elderly (German) relative of a mate. I don't collect TR stuff any more and couldn't find anything useful on the web...but with all TR stuff I start from a position of "fake"....

Now that's out of the way.......I'd very much value any views on this watch....and as I expect the words "fake" & "bogus" to greet me I'd very much like to know WHY / how we know that ie how does it differ to a REAL one (if indeed they existed). The owner wants to know about these things rather than sell / insure it.....I'm really hoping someone can help me rather than simply send a one word reply.....

Ta

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Olympic Watch
    P
    Many

Take your pick of the many designs available for a few dollars. They're all modern fantasy pieces as is the one above. It should be noted that the swastika was never shown with the Olympic rings at any time, only the eagle.

Olympic Watch

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

It's junk they sell these on the fea markets in eastern Europe

Big Ned - thank you...that's exactly the sort of helpful answer I was looking for ie the swatika and rings were never shown together...presumably though this means "officially" by IOC (or whatever it was at the time) branding rules as I've found plenty of examples where they ARE (were?) together..perhaps the best (and surviving) example is the Olympic bell (Swastika, Rings, eagle and Armoured Piercing hole!). Do you know if that was an IOC (or whatever) thing?

Thanks again...as I said, I'm keen to find out WHY it may be wrong / how it differs from the proper ones (if there WERE proper ones)...and your reply was on that track....

It's maddening to see honest folks and new collectors paying Top Dollar for these fakes, again and again...Welcome to the Forum, you're in the right place for knowledgeable feedback- and Ned knows his stuff for sure...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks...all I know is that "he brought it out with him".....but it angers me when I read one-word posts ("fake") based on one or two photographs. As a collector for 40 years (not in this field) I couldn't be so certain without seeing, touching etc UNLESS it was a fact that the item in question was not even made originally and I guess that's what I'd like to establish first. Sometimes things ARE real...but sadly the weight of doubt (and the blinkered opinions of keyboard-based "experts" who've never seen an original) sway folk to question everything.

So, at the moment, we know that similar items are / were being sold in the East....we think that there were branding issues (officially?) re the Rings and Swastika........we're getting there...but still some road ahead....

Quote by Composite View Post
    Thanks...all I know is that "he brought it out with him".....but it angers me when I read one-word posts ("fake") based on one or two photographs. As a collector for 40 years (not in this field) I couldn't be so certain without seeing, touching etc UNLESS it was a fact that the item in question was not even made originally and I guess that's what I'd like to establish first. Sometimes things ARE real...but sadly the weight of doubt (and the blinkered opinions of keyboard-based "experts" who've never seen an original) sway folk to question everything.

So, at the moment, we know that similar items are / were being sold in the East....we think that there were branding issues (officially?) re the Rings and Swastika........we're getting there...but still some road ahead....
    I often give rather long and precise answers to questions regarding badges, shields, crosses etc.(probably far too long ) showing the reasons why an item is good or bad, construction, materials used and suchlike, to hopefully be of benefit to the members who have a vested interest.

However, I'm becoming rather less inclined to do so these days as the effort of constructing a cogent answer that often includes photo's that I've gone to the effort of highlighting pertinent points often seems a waste of time when these days the majority of posters only want the answer to two questions, "Is it real?" and "What's it worth?" Often the rest doesn't matter to them.

That's what it's increasingly getting like, and it pi$$e$ me off big time.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

'Been there....'done that......

It's annoying when that happens and I fully understand / respect it. I guess I'll have to wait for another expert to come along.......

Looks like your mates elderly relative might have struck the jackpot according to this:

1936 Olympic Watch

Who would have thought it?

Really?!...firstly I'm annoyed with myself for not finding that page. I'll get them to undertake a comparison....

Thank you for being so helpful

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast