Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

P38 Pick up!

Article about: Hello I picked up this P38 with holster awhile back. I was wondering about the red diamonds on the flap? I have never seen this before! It all came from a vets grandson. Thank You For Lookin

?

Default P38 Pick up!

Hello

I picked up this P38 with holster awhile back. I was wondering about the red diamonds on the flap? I have never seen this before! It all came from a vets grandson.

Thank You For Looking
    Curt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P38 Pick up!   P38 Pick up!  

P38 Pick up!   P38 Pick up!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement P38 Pick up!
    P
    Many

The only thing that I can think of was regarding the Vet? Was he is the US 5th Inf Div? The red diamond was used as their SSI.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Agree with Ade 5th division red diamond it looks like maybe he wanted to personalize the holster. Germans also used the red diamond for the 711 infantry division that was in Normandy so who knows I lean more to vet art. timothy

The Veteran who picked this up almost certainly must have been, as Ade said, in the 5th Division. I don't imagine that the original owner applied them himself, as I doubt it would have gone over well with his superiors to tart up his holster like that, but who knows? I still would believe the 5th Division Vet angle. A nice set, in any case! Have you fired it yet? A late war AC-44 with typical poor finish, but it's complete and has Been There! Good pick up!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Myself I would test fire it with one or two rounds I had a AC45 once that went full auto on me liked to ripped my arm out of the socket some of these later P38's aren't too safe or have a good gunsmith look it over. Just my personnel experience when I had a lot of German arms to play with those were the days. Totally agree Wagriff I too would doubt that the German original owner would have if he was in the red diamond on the holster. timothy

I'd run a clip through it just to make sure it feeds okey and then clean it, oil it and put him away. The late war ones also had a nasty problem of their firing pins crystalizing on them.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for the response, I have shot it shoots well with no jams. I was also wondering about the names under the flap 2 names are scratched through! Any idea of who it was issued too?

Thanks Curt

Schmidt had the P 38 first. After the US soldier canceld this name and writed his name.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Verwender: Postamt | Verwendung als: Aufgabestempel, Tagesstempel 1.9.1939-1.1.1940 6. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 35. 2.1.1940-27.4.1940 nicht verwendet, wurde Fp.Nr. 11872 D. 12.7.1941-26.1.1942 3. Kompanie Flieger-Ausbildungs-Regiment 13 15.7.1942-24.1.1943 3. Kompanie Flieger-Regiment 13 und nicht verwendet, 24.9.1943 15. Kompanie Sicherungs-Regiment 45, 6.3.1944 nicht verwendet, 17.1.1945 Stab m. 1.-5. Kompanie Bataillon Vogel.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/