Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Patronenkasten 34

Article about: Hello folks. Another MG-related purchase. Since starting collecting a few years ago, I have slowly progressed to the point where I only buy the best condition items I can find. With this one

Default Patronenkasten 34

Hello folks.

Another MG-related purchase. Since starting collecting a few years ago, I have slowly progressed to the point where I only buy the best condition items I can find. With this one, I feel I made a very justifiable exception. It is, as can be seen in the photos, a standard Patronenkasten 34 ammunition box, for use with both the MG34 and MG42 machine guns. Dated 1939, and WaffenAmt marked 'WaA136'.

I think it's safe to say this one has seen some use! The aluminium body has survived pretty well, with only one small hole to speak of. The handle and latch remain intact and strong, although they're a little difficult to move given the heavy surface rust. There are all sorts of dents, scratches and scrapes on the outside of the box, including one that looks as if someone stepped on it. Despite this, there is a surprising amount of paint still present. Due to the battle damage, the lid is very difficult to open. It doesn't sit flat on the floor either, due to the base being slightly crushed.

Despite this, I'm very happy with this purchase. It is an item that shows plenty of character, even if some might consider it a semi-relic. Minty ammunition boxes are nice, but this is one you know has seen a battlefield. A real war relic, even if it has seen better days!

Patronenkasten 34Patronenkasten 34Patronenkasten 34Patronenkasten 34Patronenkasten 34

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Patronenkasten 34
    P
    Many

I like it and I can see why you went for it - with all these items the MG is going to look great.
    nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    I like it and I can see why you went for it - with all these items the MG is going to look great.
    nick
    Sometimes the fun of a specific item is buying all the little things that go with it. I'm happy with the battlefield look of this piece, but will probably go looking for another one in better condition at some point. Maybe a 41 model rather than another 34.

Regards, B.B.

Hello,
    It's a nice been there example, thanks for sharing with us, the only (small) bad thing in my opinion is the lack of leather protections on the handles, they've been taken off...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    It's a nice been there example, thanks for sharing with us, the only (small) bad thing in my opinion is the lack of leather protections on the handles, they've been taken off...
    Thanks
    Yes, the leather parts are unfortunately missing. Given the state of the rest of the box, I'd imagine they came off during use, or were so badly damaged they were intentionally removed.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks
    I think if you get to 79 years old and haven't lost something then you are doing well. The state of this kasten may even indicate it was ground found so hardly surprising it's missing the leatherwork.