MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Personalization marks meaning?

Article about: I know it's kind of a bad move on my part but I'm really interested in what these personalization marks mean and if they can be traced to a person or not (Specifically two guys named Willi M

Default Personalization marks meaning?

I know it's kind of a bad move on my part but I'm really interested in what these personalization marks mean and if they can be traced to a person or not (Specifically two guys named Willi Muller and W Löffler.Personalization marks meaning?Personalization marks meaning?Personalization marks meaning?Personalization marks meaning?
    These are photos from my previous post.
    From what I've seen is that they're IDs for the Soldbuch but can someone really be ID number 4?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Personalization marks meaning?
    P
    Many

Hello,
    The numbers painted on gasmasks or canisters are not personalization marks and have nothing to do with soldiers.
    The number 4 means that this particular gasmask was the fourth example issued within the unit the soldier served in...
    As the size of units issueing gasmaks to soldiers went from Kompanie to Regiment, these numbers can have one, two, three, four or even sometimes five digits.
    Below, you can see a five digit number on a middle war produced canister
    Thanks

Last edited by JPhilip; 11-05-2019 at 11:44 AM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Dav
    ?

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    The numbers painted on gasmasks or canisters are not personalization marks and have nothing to do with soldiers.
    The number 4 means that this particular gasmask was the fourth example issued within the unit the soldier served in...
    As the size of units issueing gasmaks to soldiers went from Kompanie to Regiment, these numbers can have one, two, three, four or even sometimes five digits.
    Below, you can see a five digit number on a middle war produced canister
    Thanks

I have always wondered, is the number ever a feldpost number, or were they just assigned within a kompanie/regiment?

Dav
    ?

As for the other markings- the A2b indicates production by Auer- I have seen examples marked a1b, and a3b, so it could also represent size. The ink stamp with the eagle is a waffenamt inspection stamp.

Quote by Dav View Post
    As for the other markings- the A2b indicates production by Auer- I have seen examples marked a1b, and a3b, so it could also represent size.
    Hello,
    It is indeed the size as the latter was not ink stamped on the facial mask on early GM30 examples
    When the early snout was replaced by the final type, then they started to ink stamp the size on the forehead of the facial mask. For the GM38 it's molded at the same location.
    Thanks
    Last edited by JPhilip; 11-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)