Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

please help identify unknown optic/sight

Article about: Hello everyone! I'm trying to identify a sight my father gave me. Dad served overseas during WWII, which is where I think he got it. He doesn't remember anything about the scope (what it wen

?

Default please help identify unknown optic/sight

Hello everyone! I'm trying to identify a sight my father gave me. Dad served overseas during WWII, which is where I think he got it. He doesn't remember anything about the scope (what it went to, where he found it, etc.), but says he believes it came from a German WWII field weapon.

I can't find any markings of any kind (raised letters, painted, printed, written, embossed) on the scope, and I have made no attempts to take it apart or clean it in any way. Here are some photos, including one through the eye cup.

A friend pointed out that my scope's reticle resembles the MG42 Z40 reticle (below):

Any ideas?

Let me know if any additional (or larger) photos are needed or wanted for the identification.

Thank you for reading and for any help. Also, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement please help identify unknown optic/sight
    P
    Many

?

Default more about unknown optic/sight (measurements added)

So far my post hasn't generated any replies, PMs or emails.

Does that mean th3 scope is really THAT rare and unknown?

Measurements may help with identification, so here they are.

If no one recognizes this, any website suggestions where I may have some luck?

Thank you very much for any and all help.

?

Default unknown optic/sight identified!

Success! Someone from another site said it's a spotting scope that was sometimes attached to anti-tank guns. With that info I honed my search, and after emailing several militaria-based websites I got a reply from Mart from KSG Scotland Dot Org.

Mart says it's a scope for the MG42 when it's mounted on a Lafette tripod for sustained HMG use. Mart said the scope was used later in the war on Panzer hull-mounted machine guns, and that it was also used on on PaK 38 and PaK 40 anti-tank guns.

Thank you very much for reading, and if anyone has any additional information about this scope (such as photos) please let me know.

?

Default Re: please help identify unknown optic/sight

That's great mate....I have no idea on these things, but now you knw what it is, thts t least a first step......and the fact your dad bought it back makes it even better!!!

Default Re: please help identify unknown optic/sight

cool optic! i have a flak 88 sight my grandfather brought back from the war that im still not sure of its true purpose!