Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sharing my Heer Kavallerie veterinary saddle bag - named.

Article about: In keeping with my cavalry themed collection, this little gem came up in Ratisbon's latest auction. I like it. Any input is appreciated as well. The photos are those from Ratisbon. Thanks fo

Default Sharing my Heer Kavallerie veterinary saddle bag - named.

In keeping with my cavalry themed collection, this little gem came up in Ratisbon's latest auction.
    I like it. Any input is appreciated as well.
    The photos are those from Ratisbon.
    Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by carpediem; 03-13-2019 at 11:21 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sharing my Heer Kavallerie veterinary saddle bag - named.
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Edit: Just saw you referred to it as "my". Congrats! Neat piece of equipment seldom encountered.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Great quality item. Sometimes I think about how much leather was used throughout the war years.

Ratisbon has one fine set of photographers...really can't improve on their pics.
    Happy you won your lot
    D.

Thanks D.! A lot of cows contributed to the war effort, that is for sure! Ratisbon really makes sure you see just about every possible angle. I left out many of the photos they posted of this piece.

Looks like a normal m34 saddle bag which has been converted to a sort of hand bag ! May i ask how it was advertised?? It’s a nice bag, but unfortunately impossible to know when it was converted into this handbag, but my guess would be post war adapted, due to material shortage....

Maybe the Tierarzt was in a cavalry unit, and wanted to pick up his job after the war and could use his saddlebag in a better way ... but i’m only fantasizing ofcourse now

Anyway nice pouch and nice to see it’s use after the war

Tom

TWS
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Great quality item. Sometimes I think about how much leather was used throughout the war years.

Ratisbon has one fine set of photographers...really can't improve on their pics.
    Happy you won your lot
    D.
    G.I.s and even Landsers themselves have written that a mass of German troops had a distinctive smell: a mix of tobacco and leather.

And I agree, Ratisbon's almost always does a great job with photos and is one reason why I bid regularly... to the detriment of my financial status.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    Looks like a normal m34 saddle bag which has been converted to a sort of hand bag ! May i ask how it was advertised?? It’s a nice bag, but unfortunately impossible to know when it was converted into this handbag, but my guess would be post war adapted, due to material shortage....

Maybe the Tierarzt was in a cavalry unit, and wanted to pick up his job after the war and could use his saddlebag in a better way ... but i’m only fantasizing ofcourse now

Anyway nice pouch and nice to see it’s use after the war

Tom
    I didn't say anything, but last night the use of the title "Tierarzt" did register with me. In German that is more of a civilian term for a veterinarian, while in the Wehrmacht the military term "Veterinär" was used.
    However, I wouldn't rule absolutely on that one wrinkle and it's still a really cool piece of equipment.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

For the price I paid, it doesn't matter because it fits my collection. The ex-saddlebag fits alone, the possibility of a wartime veterinary use, a bonus. Post war modified? Still a go. Thanks for the input guys!