Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

smm43 mess kit question

Article about: I recently purchased a original smm43 matching mess kit and am curious if the paint is original? The patina and wear looks honest and I don't see any underlying paint as if it was a repaint.

Default smm43 mess kit question

I recently purchased a original smm43 matching mess kit and am curious if the paint is original? The patina and wear looks honest and I don't see any underlying paint as if it was a repaint. It's identical to my original ccj41 mess kit I had but, I figured it would be olive green by this stage of the war in 1943. It's also named Uffz. G.R.. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

smm43 mess kit questionsmm43 mess kit questionsmm43 mess kit questionsmm43 mess kit question

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement smm43 mess kit question
    P
    Many

Hello,
    Yes at this stage of the war, most messkits were painted in olive green.
    Without knowing that both parts are bearing the same marking, i would think that it is mismatched as on my screen the body is painted in Feldgrau and the lid in dark olive green. It is not impossible...i've have already seen mismatched messkits with the same markings...both parts probably produced roughly at the same time, but with a change of paint in between. This said, your lid can have been repainted as the initials of the name engraved are covered with paint...
    There are canteen producers that still used black paint for the cup in 1943, so why not a messkit producer still using Feldgrau paint in 1943, then changing to conform to official orders the same year. Orders are from 1940, but it's never too late....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

The reason the lower half is a darker shade is it appears it was used and cooked with. I can see where it was maybe put over a stove and has darkened it.

Does anyone have photos of 1943 mess kits in this shade of paint?