Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Ss fuel can for viewing..

Article about: Ok, This pic was sent to me, and was wondering if its authentic, and the value of it. As i might want to try and get it, if its an authentic SS fuel can. Brian

Default Ss fuel can for viewing..

Ok, This pic was sent to me, and was wondering if its authentic, and the value of it.

As i might want to try and get it, if its an authentic SS fuel can.

Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss fuel can for viewing..  
    Last edited by blackheart0866; 06-07-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: SPELLING ERROR.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss fuel can for viewing..
    P
    Many

Default Re: Ss fuel can for viewing..

Hi what is going on.We need more pictures ,I can tell you that the ss jerry can are reproduce alot .But a real one goes for 500 to 600$ in the US I have been looking for one for years for a good price but no luck.

That's the only one i have, he is suppose to be taking more, and sending them to me soon.

Brian

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    That's the only one i have, he is suppose to be taking more, and sending them to me soon.

Brian
    From what I can see ,it is in very good condition for a jerry can that old I would say fake at the present time. because of the condition.But maybe the other pictures will change my opinion.

AFAICS it looks like a replica artificially aged to let the red oxide primer show thru!I could be wrong,of course,but if I were you I'd steer clear from it and start looking for another WSS Kanister!If you've got a thing for Jerrycans here you go:Flipkart.com: Du Kanister Au Jerrycan/From Kanister To Jerry Can: Phlilippe Leger: Book

Tcheerz
    Manny

Hi Brian,

Avoid all jerry cans without a base coat, or internal lining coat of red. The ones with an undercoat to the outside and inner ,which on the outside is under the dark green paint are real and period made. The genuine ones have no air gaps (cut outs)in the handle to the front corners and are fully welded at the time of manufacture. Also the genuine ones can be easily identified by the air vent, which is found to the inside of the cap going down into the can itself,which is round. The fakes air vents are distinguished by two types, the first which was in production in the 90's is oval and the second type is an integral part of the spout and is a segmented shape. Any can which also has a flower/daisy stamped into the cap itself should also be regarded as a post war reproduction. The handles to the post war 1990's and modern fakes are not welded to the handles rounded corners and have a small production gap at these points. It seems the confusion stems from a company from the original Czech republik who made the Jerry cans for the SS called SANDRIK, who now also make these fake SS cans from original tooling within their factory. It was also suggested in one discussion thread I saw on a different forum that certain fraudsters had been taking good wehrmacht cans and cutting the centre out, replacing it with another centre which had the SS runes, if thats the case, another pointer would be to look for undercut marks where the welding is, as it would be difficult to get the donor sheeting exactly flat and smooth and to the same shape as the recipient jerry can required. As any fabricator knows with thinner sheeting distortion will inevitably happen, when the heat is applied, even with mig welding. The final test is the weight, originals are heavier than their reproduction counterparts, which only makes sense considering in those days things were built to last.
    The weight should be about 4.3 kg for an original. I dont know at this time what the weights of a fake SS can will be, but if anyone has one out there it would be interesting to hear.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Brian,

Avoid all jerry cans without a base coat, or internal lining coat of red. The ones with an undercoat to the outside and inner ,which on the outside is under the dark green paint are real and period made. The genuine ones have no air gaps (cut outs)in the handle to the front corners and are fully welded at the time of manufacture. Also the genuine ones can be easily identified by the air vent, which is found to the inside of the cap going down into the can itself,which is round. The fakes air vents are distinguished by two types, the first which was in production in the 90's is oval and the second type is an integral part of the spout and is a segmented shape. Any can which also has a flower/daisy stamped into the cap itself should also be regarded as a post war reproduction. The handles to the post war 1990's and modern fakes are not welded to the handles rounded corners and have a small production gap at these points. It seems the confusion stems from a company from the original Czech republik who made the Jerry cans for the SS called SANDRIK, who now also make these fake SS cans from original tooling within their factory. It was also suggested in one discussion thread I saw on a different forum that certain fraudsters had been taking good wehrmacht cans and cutting the centre out, replacing it with another centre which had the SS runes, if thats the case, another pointer would be to look for undercut marks where the welding is, as it would be difficult to get the donor sheeting exactly flat and smooth and to the same shape as the recipient jerry can required. As any fabricator knows with thinner sheeting distortion will inevitably happen, when the heat is applied, even with mig welding. The final test is the weight, originals are heavier than their reproduction counterparts, which only makes sense considering in those days things were built to last.
    The weight should be about 4.3 kg for an original. I dont know at this time what the weights of a fake SS can will be, but if anyone has one out there it would be interesting to hear.

Regards, Ned.
    !The outer coat of red oxide primer is easily sprayed on but,as you've pointed out,the interior was red oxide ENAMELED.IIRC there were other manufacturers that made jerrycans for Heinrich's boys,but the "Sandriks" are a real mined field,since only one out of God-knows-how-many Sandriks is genuine!
    Ned,
    I still have one of the 80s/90s Jerrycans which I used when I raced motorbikes...I can put it on a scale and check its weight if you think it could be of any use!
    Cheers
    Manny