Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?

Article about: Hey Guys, just wondering if you could help me out again. I'm looking at buying this SS Jerry Can. Do you guys think its real or a reproduction? If it is real, what do you think it's worth? I

Default SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?

Hey Guys, just wondering if you could help me out again. I'm looking at buying this SS Jerry Can. Do you guys think its real or a reproduction? If it is real, what do you think it's worth? I really don't know anything about Jerry Cans so I have no idea what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?   SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?  

Cpl Fidler, Mark
    (USMC)Infantry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

Hi Fidler, welcome to the forum.

Sandrik SS jerrycans are still made today in the Czech Republic from original press tools apparently, but there seems to be slight differences that enable you to spot the originals from the post war produced ones. This includes the new ones not having fully welded handles, there are 'air gaps' where they have not been sealed after pressing around the corners/formed joints. The new ones have a pressed reinforcing rib on the cap hinge/lock, and a 'Daisy' design stamped near the front edge of this part (see highlighted shot below). Looking at the can head on, with the spout facing you, it can be seen that there is a small hole in the lifting tab that locks the cap. This is on the right hand side of the tab on originals, whilst being on the left of the post war type.

On that evidence, I would say that yours is a genuine period jerrycan.

Regards, Ned.SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?

SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?SS Jerry Can: Real or Fake?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello Ned,
    I'm very happy to hear this, there are so many fakes out there, it gets a little disheartening at times. I'm going to hold it right away, do you have any idea as to what this Jerry Can might be worth? You seem to be very knowledgable and I thank you for sharing. I'm very new to collecting 3rd Reich items, so I have a great deal to learn. I appreciate your time. Have a great day!

-Thanks
    Cpl Fidler, Mark
    (USMC)Infantry

Yes looks to be a real ,it may be possible to get that red paint off from the looks of it

[QUOTE=Fidler89;1284849]Hello Ned,
    I'm very happy to hear this, there are so many fakes out there, it gets a little disheartening at times. I'm going to hold it right away, do you have any idea as to what this Jerry Can might be worth? You seem to be very knowledgable and I thank you for sharing. I'm very new to collecting 3rd Reich items, so I have a great deal to learn. I appreciate your time. Have a great day![QUOTE]

Hey Corp,

I'm really not a collector of these, but I got involved putting together an answer to a thread a couple of years ago and still had the info cached. So it's best to wait for others here to advise you further. I think the can is good for all intents and purposes, but when it comes to pricing this one I wouldn't know as it's been a while as I said, since I looked into these. Prices seemed to vary IIRC, varying on condition etc. but I think they were going for around $200-$300 back then. Hang fire and someone will be along to help with this i'm sure.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Saw some at the W&P show this summer price was £150 to £280 down to condition ,that one looks to be good condition so nearer the top end of the prices

as real as they get.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Good luck out there!
    Cpl Fidler, Mark
    (USMC)Infantry