Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STRANGE Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???

Article about: Hey mates... Some days ago i´ve got this canteen. It´s huge, takes 2 Liters of water. it looks quite much like a german WW2 canteen, but much bigger. it comes with a wooden handle so it can

Default STRANGE Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???

Hey mates...

Some days ago i´ve got this canteen. It´s huge, takes 2 Liters of water.
    it looks quite much like a german WW2 canteen, but much bigger.
    it comes with a wooden handle so it can be carried around easily - my first guess was "a medical canteen"

The cap says "ESB 41", so it must be from around that year i guess, but it could be non original, even thou it fits perfectly onto the bottle.

I cannot see marks on the canteen itself, even thou it could be under that metal-collar that is around the bottle neck, but i believe there is no marking on the bottle

i have tried to investigate what this cool canteen actually is, but i cannot find it anywhere neither in pictures or words..

Any clue? Is it german WW2 and rare, or did i get a junk canteen here?

Help and comments are much appreciated.

All yours as always..
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???   STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???  

STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???   STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???  

STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???   STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???  

STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement STRANGE  Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???
    P
    Many

A Medic's 2L canteen? But I've never seen a carrying handle like this one before on one. Perhaps even a Soup carrier for a Mess unit?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A field mod i reckon!..

I dont think its a field modification, as i have seen a pic of an identical canteen before, unfortunately i cant find it anymore, as the WWW is huge.. besides, as the whole handle-setup looks professionaly made i think it was built under a more controlled circunstance than on the field. Even the wooden handle looks carefully and specially made for this use.. Just my humble opinion...

For the upper part
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

If a canteen and appears to be it is a Luftwaffe Survival Canteen carriedabord aircraft they are rare I have never owned one hard to find I think there is a picture of one in the Luftwaffe book last one I have seen was listed by Ost front Militaria at about 200 USD. Lebus shows another rare one for fuel or something like that but they were also made for water used a lot in Med N Afrika. tiothy

Soup canteen, Aircraft canteen, Afrika Canteen, rare canteen, Fuel canteen & Medical Canteen... there are quite many theories about its origin. I am glad that no one questions its german WW2 origins yet... Thanks LEBUS12 for those awesome and RARE pics.. I am sure that a canteen of this size has been used for an infinite amount of things. Now after this thread has been active for some days, nice ideas have emerged, and even thou nobody seems to be really sure about what exactly this one here really is , i ve come to respect it and like it even more than before.. I personally use it from time to time to go for my Pulque, a fermented Agave zap of ancient origins, the ancient Aztecs used to get..." inspired "?? Yes, this canteen has not retired from active duty yet..

Perhaps yours is without paint....
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Or it might have once had a Cover that is now missing?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

It is for milking German cows.
    You put the tit in it and squeeze until the individual tit indicator says empty and then move to the next tit and repeat. You don't spill any milk that way.

WARNING
    DO NOT USE THIS ON A BULL
    You won't be able to make him quit following you around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast