Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange, unknown german bag

Article about: Hello guys! I can't identify this bag. I didn't find any similar on the internet. It has the usual oval marking in the leather at back, but it's unreadable. Only 1942 is hardly visible. Plea

?

Default Strange, unknown german bag

Hello guys!

I can't identify this bag. I didn't find any similar on the internet. It has the usual oval marking in the leather at back, but it's unreadable. Only 1942 is hardly visible.
    Please help!

Thank you!
    Strange, unknown german bagStrange, unknown german bagStrange, unknown german bag

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange, unknown german bag
    P
    Many

Appears to be an altered/converted Bread-Bag...A Postwar Schoolbook Satchel, perhaps?? Never seen anything quite like that, Friend...
    Hopefully one of our friends will be able to offer more info...I like a good mystery!
    cheers, Glenn

?

Thank you Glenn! I also suspected modification! But if it's a schoolbag, why the leather part marked 1942 like the military pieces?

Quote by levaid View Post
    Thank you Glenn! I also suspected modification! But if it's a schoolbag, why the leather part marked 1942 like the military pieces?
    I can only speculate that the leather flap may originate from mounted troops/Saddle-Bag...
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

I think it could be Swiss, they used leather in some webbing I believe.

Check all the hardware for logos this can help to narrow it down.

With the inner pockets the hooks and how the leather cover laces to the bag, I would say it's Swiss, not German. The cover looks to be from an M17( I think that's the right number) bread bag. If the bag is dated 1942, it's been re-assembled from 2 different models. The ww2 bags had a "salt and pepper" canvas cover that changed to a rubberized cover in the 70s.

I found another thread about a similar one here https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...ad-bag-345601/

?

You won! This is a WWI Swiss bread bag! I found a 1 and a 5 on the two sides of the oval marking, so probably the bag is from 1915. I make a photo of the marking.

It's amazing for a country that never went to war in modern times and how long different pieces of equipment were kept in service, how many Swiss items you find

Sure looks like a German Brotbeutel strap on that thing. NH

It's definitely seen better days, but yeah, that's a German bread bag strap. Even after 102 years its still going strong...ish