Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tornister 41...any thoughts?

Article about: And just to give an idea of what JP means, here a (non fur) M39 Tornister with A frame attached Tom MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

?

Default Tornister 41...any thoughts?

Hi All,

I'm thinking about biding on this "Tornister 41"...

Any thoughts about this item? Is it original? What's the market value - so I'll know when to stop biding

Looks like it's in good shape - stamping is MN42 (?)

THX in advance!

Tornister 41...any thoughts?Tornister 41...any thoughts?Tornister 41...any thoughts?Tornister 41...any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tornister 41...any thoughts?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Tornister 41...any thoughts?

This is the model that clipped onto the Y straps. Looks complete from what I can see on the photos - I have a couple similar and have seen them regularly go for between US$60 - $100. Personally I would not go more than that.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hello,
    There's no Tornister 41 in german nomenclature, this one is a Tornister 39 with short tabs to attach to Y-straps D-rings.
    Troops equipped with Y-straps were issued such a Tornister, infantry for instance.
    MN was a canteen and messkit maker, so IMO marking is not MN42....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hi, nice tidy example and seem to sell for around the 40-60 euro mark.

?

Thanks, OK...Tornister 39...I've learned again
    ( it is being sold as "Tornister 41" - so I guess the seller is no expert - like me )

Can't see the stamp too good...If I win, I'll update

Hello,
    This kind of mistake happens quite often when one tells what he heard from someone who has a friend of which the uncle has once seen a 1941 dated Tornister...and thought that it was a nice Model 1941 backpack with fur....

The time spent (by me and others before) researching the official archives of the german army is sometimes helpful. It is said in there that only two Tornister were adopted by the german Heer between 1933 and 1945.

Tornister 34, issued with removable carrying straps and that includes an inner pocket meant to carry the messkit.

Tornister 39, issued with removable carrying straps for troops non equipped with Y-straps
    Tornister 39, issued with short tabs for troops equipped with Y-straps

As the war progressed, more and more troops were issued Y-straps, so more Tornister 39 with tabs were produced.
    With the adoption of the Tornister 39, the messkit is meant to be carried outside. Strapped to the Brotbeutel or attached to the A-frame which could be also attached on the front flap of the Tornister 39 (impossible to do so with the Tornister 34)
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Great info on tornisters !

Really well researched JPhilip
    The maker should be looked for in the "hj*" codes,where you can find the vast majority of the leatherware makers whose code(s) start by "h",but IMHO it's "hlv",i.e. Maury&Co,Luisenstrrasse 16 Offenbach A/Main....the second letter doesn't seem a J to me (or any other letter for that matters),hence "hlv" would be a good guesstimate...and I think an affe myself made by Maury!
    HTH
    Last edited by Horrido; 01-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.

?

If I win this (I'll find out in 5 days), I'll inform the thread of the exact code...and also sometime this year, I'll make professional photos of all my collection items & will post nice close up pics, etc. ...to help all others who are sort of "beginners" like yours truly

And while you're at it try to focus on the details other fellow collectors focus on and ask yourself "why"..it'll be very useful!
    Cheers
    P.S.; hope you'll win because it's quite nice!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast