Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

U Boat Tauchretter

Article about: German U-Boat crew rebreather or "TAUCHRETTER". Got this from a friend. Unfortunately a few ugly marks, looks like patches. But fairly complete. Has a eagle and swastika stamp. Sau

Default U Boat Tauchretter

German U-Boat crew rebreather or "TAUCHRETTER". Got this from a friend. Unfortunately a few ugly marks, looks like patches. But fairly complete. Has a eagle and swastika stamp. Sauerstoff bottle is made by AUER and dated 14.11.42. It is said that this rebreather comes from one of the U-boats that was sank near the South African Coast, near St. Helena.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U Boat Tauchretter   U Boat Tauchretter  

U Boat Tauchretter   U Boat Tauchretter  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U Boat Tauchretter
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Tauchretter

Hello ,
    Nice tauchretter !
    Could I see some close up pictures of the white ink stamp " tauchretter " ?
    You are missing the rubber mouth piece , " U " shaped spring clamp at the bottom of the vest and the rubber hose is incorrect for this tauchretter , it is way too long ! Still a very nice tauchretter !
    Do you have the co2 scrubber can for this ?

Best Regards ,
    Subjoe

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I did notice the long pipe. I have the u shaped clamp, but not in the photo. Also i'm missing the scrubber.. Is this worth anything looking at the condition?

?

Hi ,
    I would like to see what the " tauchretter stamp " looks like , if you can find the time to snap a few pictures for me . Spare parts are next to impossible to find . I have been looking for the correct rubber hose and scrubber cans for 30 years now , with no luck ! Most , if not all parts I have seen or found have been post war Tr60 or Tr66 tauchretter parts or just plain fakes made to look like a WWII version tauchretter part .
    With all of those nasty black patches on the front I do not think it is a good candidate for a display . The black paint on the O2 bottle is post war , I would think this was used in England as are the black patches .
    I would be interested in it if you were selling it .

Best Regards ,
    Joe

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum!

I think these rebreather masks are a fasinating peice of kit.

I have seen only a couple for sale in 33 years of collecting. I saw a WW2 British version a couple of years ago and I spent a while looking at at. Not my area of collecting but a really interesting item.

Cheers, Ade.

Is the hose taken from a British respirator? It looks like it to me? But I have no idea what a correct one should look like?

"Auer" of course made respirators for the German Forces in the Third Reich era.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hello ,
    The British version of this tauchretter is the Seibe Gorman rescue device . Without lookiing at the hose in hand I cannot say if it is British or Russian . At first I was thinking it was from the Russian made gas mask hose , looks similar and very common to find .
    This is caller the Draeger tauchretter but most were in fact made by Auer , I guess you can say that Auer was a sub contractor during the war .
    The reason why I think this was used by the British post war is that they used the color black with white around the shoulder of the O2 bottles and the Germans used a blue color . Post war the British used ex- KM men to clear minefields on land and in the water and many tauchretters found in this very used condition were used for this very purpose .
    I really would like to see if there is a 3 letter code in white below the word tauchretter .

Best Regards ,
    Joe

?

Hello ,
    The rubber hose connecting the mouthpiece to the vest should only have 6 convolutions to it , this hose looks like it is 5 times too long .

Best Regards ,
    Joe

Stand by for the photos. I'll send them

?

Hello All ,
    Here is a very nice web site , if you like tauchretters !
    Joe's Tauchretter Home Page