Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrmacht issue wristwatch?

Article about: Please for information about this watch. Watches Wehrmacht?

Default Wehrmacht issue wristwatch?

Please for information about this watch.
    Watches Wehrmacht?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht issue wristwatch?
    P
    Many

Looks period - But, the 'Stainless Steel' wording inside
    makes me think late 1950's or 60's - or perhaps the
    back has been replaced.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I agree with Steve.

The back should be serial numbered and "DH" marked if it was an issue wrist watch.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

How common were wrist watches?
    Wasn't the fob pocket present in the trousers indicating that these type of watches were more common amongst the ranks with only NCO's and officers needing the quick access a wristwatch gave??
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    How common were wrist watches?
    Wasn't the fob pocket present in the trousers indicating that these type of watches were more common amongst the ranks with only NCO's and officers needing the quick access a wristwatch gave??
    This is only my opinion Dan so don't quote me but I think wristwatches became (or started to become) more common than the pocket watch to the general public during the 1930s. I don't know about army issue watches so perhaps the pocket watch was a more common issued time piece.

Of the 25 odd watches I have dating from the late 19 century to 1952, only two are pocket watches, my great grandfather's which he had in the Boer war and my wife's grandmother's from the 1920s, the majority of the wristwatches are 1930s to 1952. None are military issue.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    This is only my opinion Dan so don't quote me but I think wristwatches became (or started to become) more common than the pocket watch to the general public during the 1930s.
    I'd say you're right about that. Wristwatches sure are a common enough sight in 1930s photographs.

Wristwatches had already been around since the late 19th century, became very popular with military personnel - especially officers - in WW1 and became increasingly widespread throughout the 1920s.

Apparently, in 1930, the number of wristwatches sold first equalled that of pocketwatches sold, while by 1934, the wristwatch already held two thirds of the market (or at least several websites cite those figures).

Surely, many men owned examples of both species of watch, with wristwatches for practical everyday wear and pocket watches for more elegant occasions.

Ade is spot on-as usual. Most all Germany Army issued wristwatches should be marked DH on the backs. Wrist watches were very common in WWII German military and could range from a very high quality Swiss movement down to what basically would be called a "Dollar Watch". It is difficult to find a period wristwatch in decent working order, as they were the focus bigtime of both Russian and US soldiers for war booty prizes.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

guys, that is not 100% watch Wehrmacht? The mechanism is signed D202 or D - Germany? Such a mechanism was in many military zegarak from what I know ...

So, this watch is from 1940? No post-war?

It could well have been a private purchase watch. It looks to be of the era, but still if it is an Issue watch, I would expect to see "DH" on it. A shame that it missing much of it's radium painted markers and the minute hand. It is, of course, impossible today to have it replaced due to the radioactivity.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast