Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

What is the true use for this german cloth bag?

Article about: Over the years I have been collecting I have been told by a number of other collectors that the cloth bag I have in the first photos is for carrying a spare gas mask filter. I have a number

Default What is the true use for this german cloth bag?

Over the years I have been collecting I have been told by a number of other collectors that the cloth bag I have in the first photos is for carrying a spare gas mask filter. I have a number of these bags and they never really struck me as being correct for a gas mask filter because of the squarish construction. A few years ago I went to a private house call where the person had a number of items for sale that they had collected straight after the Occupation of our Island. One of the items was one of these cloth bags with a bakelite karbid container inside..... exactly how the chap had found it.
    Recently I purchased the 2nd cloth bag you can see in the photos, this one came with a gas mask filter in it..... again something that had been together for the whole time the previous owner had had it. It seems like a filter fits this bag far better than the first bag but I really don't know if this is correct. Does anyone know for sure, are they featured in a book,photo or manual. Any help is much appreciated.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is the true use for this german cloth bag?   What is the true use for this german cloth bag?  

What is the true use for this german cloth bag?   What is the true use for this german cloth bag?  

What is the true use for this german cloth bag?   What is the true use for this german cloth bag?  

What is the true use for this german cloth bag?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is the true use for this german cloth bag?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What is the true use for this german cloth bag?

Hi

I always thought it was for the gas mask filter but it looks like it was used as a multi functional bag.

If its not a rhetorical question and is a quiz then.................

I reckon ghey were used for...........

Putting your sandwiches in ?

cheers

Tony

Joking apart, I don't actually know the real answer, sorry. Hopefully some one else might. I have never seen a manual with this item in either.

cheers

Tony

The first bag is a bag for the "ersatz" or Kriegsmarine filter.....

These are also used by U-boat crews (I heared this but have no proof of it)

The lower one is a dust filter !

Explanation can be found on my site : MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Never knew that Tom...................cheers