Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Cannon Sight

Article about: Hello everyone. This is my first visit to this site. I am the son of a US Army veteran who served during in Europe during WW2. He has passed on to me a German cannon sight he acquired during

PhiloSandeen
    ?

Default WW2 German Cannon Sight

Hello everyone. This is my first visit to this site.

I am the son of a US Army veteran who served during in Europe during WW2. He has passed on to me a German cannon sight he acquired during the war and I am trying to establish its value to collectors.

Photos are attached. It has 50 years of dust on it, but is in good conditions. The optics work and the glass is all there.

It bears the inscription "J.D. Moeller Wedel 6285".

If anyone can offer any information on this item, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German Cannon Sight   WW2 German Cannon Sight  

2. # ADS

peter blackburn
    ?

Default Re: WW2 German Cannon Sight

hi ive a few of these sights have u found owt much about them? thanks peter

Hi,
    This is known as a Richtkreis 31 (Rkr 31) and is an aiming circle..... its used to measure horizontal and vertical angles. By using the magnetic needle, magnetic bearings can be taken. This is only part of the whole item, there is a periscope that fits onto the front lense housing. Normally the 2 pieces have individual leather cases or there is a wooden transit box for both parts which comes with an illumination lead and battery box. The instrument itself fits the standard German army wooden optic tripod. If you just have the sight we see in your picture then I would reckon it to be worth maybe £100 thats if the optics are clear and undamaged.
    All the best from Jersey, Channel Islands.
    D.

Just found a wooden transit box for this optic in my store. Now I just need to find the bits to go in the box.
    D.