Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Y-Strap Opinions- the real deal?

Article about: Recently purchased what, to me seemed like a nice set of 1940 dated Y-straps. From my limited knowledge and experience, to me they seem genuine. The makers mark (Werner, Berlin, 1940) seems

Dav
    ?

Default Y-Strap Opinions- the real deal?

Recently purchased what, to me seemed like a nice set of 1940 dated Y-straps. From my limited knowledge and experience, to me they seem genuine. The makers mark (Werner, Berlin, 1940) seems well stamped, the fact you cannot see the stitching on one of the attachment points to early war production, like the stamped date, and the fact that the d-rings are more pointed than "round" (hard to see in the pictures) all suggest to me, as well as the overall patina of the item that they are genuine and in nice condition, but of course your thoughts are needed to validate my assumptions. What do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Y-Strap Opinions- the real deal?
    P
    Many

Hi

I am sorry to inform you that it is not a good set......

Probably a set of tornister straps rebuild to look like a set of Y straps.....

Hooe you didn’t pay too much, or , if you bought it from a respectable seller..... send it back !

Tom

Dav
    ?

Luckily, I only paid £20 for them. I had a strong suspicion they were not original as I have seen the seller before, he's a trustworthy guy and no idiot. What draws you to this conclusion?

Hello,
    Below you can see your photos with all wrong things marked in red...
    new stitchings, new rivets, lack of rivets protection, rear hook, buckle with prong....they're all BAD...
    Glad you paid £20 only...this is what they're worth
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Dav
    ?

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    Below you can see your photos with all wrong things marked in red...
    new stitchings, new rivets, lack of rivets protection, rear hook, buckle with prong....they're all BAD...
    Glad you paid £20 only...this is what they're worth
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the time you took to add to the photos. What do you think the reasoning for this is? It looks like all the leather itself is original, yet not quite right. Where's it from? I imagine re-enactement.

Hi

Those pics quite summed it up..... thanks JP.....

The reason mostly is: to make money.... normally these are made to deceive people and take their money..... i don’t think re-enactment, because there are too many mistakes....
    re-enactment pieces mostly look more like the original item, but are obviously newly made.....

Tom

I agree with Tom, not a reenactment item, just made to deceive from original Tornister front straps that have been pimped into a pair of Y-straps...with loose parts...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Dav
    ?

Ah right I see. So are all the parts original tournister or y strap parts?

In my opinion, only the front straps (leather only) are ok...front hooks are also ok, but they're late war...the small leather part that blocks the hooks at the end of the strap is new or restitched...
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

Dav
    ?

Thank you so much for the help. In all honesty, I'm not too bothered- and if it's mostly original, and only cost me £20, then I much prefer it over a £40 repro set of straps to add to my collection. Maybe when I'm older and with a job I'll get some, but at the minute these will have to do. I did get a nice artillery bag though, which, I again believe might be original for £10. I'll post some pictures if you want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast