Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zeltbahn query

Article about: Hi Guys I purchased a repro splintertarn zelt a few years ago thinking it would be very useful! Ive never used it yet as I have'nt a clue how to do it up in any of the guises, anyone out the

Reg
    ?

Default Zeltbahn query

Hi Guys

I purchased a repro splintertarn zelt a few years ago thinking it would be very useful!

Ive never used it yet as I have'nt a clue how to do it up in any of the guises, anyone out there got any simple guides on how it fits together as a garment? or maybe post some good pics of them in use? I still think its a great bit of kit!!!

Cheers
    Reg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zeltbahn query
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Zeltbahn query

i dont know if this site is any good to ya

Zeltbahn.net - Tents

Reg
    ?

Great, thanks Nick! Ill set too in the rain and see if I can keep the "old barrel" dry. LOL

?

your welcome mate glad i could help

Hello Reg,
    Here's a photo showing the Zeltbahn worn on the Atlantikwall...it is the way it was worn by non mounted personnel...
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zeltbahn query  

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Reg
    ?

Great pic. thanks for that! I still rekon its one of the most useful pieces of kit issued to any army...might be fun to start a thread to see what other ideas people have.!!!

cheers
    Reg

Really nice picture!!!

I would like to add a few comments, having worn one of these in the field in wet weather. I wore an original and it certainly kept me dry.

Many repros are not really water proof like the originals. Most are not cotton duck material and have a large man made fibre content. I was once witness to a spectacual accident involving a Zelt tent. A guy I know in a German group had set up his Zelt tent and was inside this when he knocked over a gas lantern and smashed the mantel. A jet of flame shot out and the tent went up a ball of flame! He was very lucky to just have very minor burns and loss of his eyebrows. The three repro Zelts were reduced to balls of melted plastic, whereas the original one survived more or less intact.

The Zeltbahn is not a bad bit of kit, and it certainly beats it's wartime British counterpart hands down. But it is still not anywhere near as useful or practical as the Soviet "Plash-Palatka". I would say its only advantage over the "Plash" would be the camoflauge printed pattern.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello,
    Very useful info Ade, repro is badddddd.....
    but using a genuine one for reenacting would make me feel baddddd also.
    tough dilemma....
    (not a real dilemma as i'm not a reenactor)

Wehrmacht Zeltbahnen is a field of collecting on its own....many variants due to the period of production and sometimes due to producers. I like all my Zelts from the most basic piece to the rarest, from the used ones to those in MINT condition. I wish i could post all my pics showing Zeltbahnen in use, but 99% of them have a copyright...I'll see what i can do for the members interested in this particular matter, if there is an interest i mean...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Reg
    ?

Cheers for the info Ade, Ill have a few fun experiments with my zelt to see how close to original it is, Im off to what promises to be a wet Royal welsh show so Ill take it along and have a play.

Reg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast