Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Zeltbahn Ropes

Article about: Hi guys Today i was able to finaly complete a tent with 4 Zeltbahne... I got more then enough Zelts but never was able to get enough original black ropes (Zeltleine) for them.... Today I got

Default Zeltbahn Ropes

Hi guys

Today i was able to finaly complete a tent with 4 Zeltbahne...

I got more then enough Zelts but never was able to get enough original black ropes (Zeltleine) for them....

Today I got enough and even e few more, yes yes !!

I feel lucky!

Maybe I'm not keeping them all because I only need 4 for a complete Zelt.......

Tom
    Zeltbahn Ropes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zeltbahn Ropes
    P
    Many

Hello Tom,
    Congrats for this find. Black ropes as mentioned in the HDV....nice...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Tom, what is the story behind the black zeltleine?
    Natural hemp was used for the loops on the plane itself and the pegs and even the 92 rope - where did the black come into usage??

Thanks, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Question

I'm curious too! Never herd of black ropes.
    Sarge

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Tom, what is the story behind the black zeltleine?
    Natural hemp was used for the loops on the plane itself and the pegs and even the 92 rope - where did the black come into usage??

Thanks, Dan

Hello,
    There is no story behind the black Zeltleine, the HDV 1932 n° 205/1 from the 20th of April 1932 says that the Zeltleine 92 has to be black. That's the theory of course. If there is not so many black Zeltleinen seen on the market, IMO that's because the vast majority of those that have been used have lost their black dye and some were produced in natural color as well, manufacturers ignoring official orders. I've seen a lot of black ones that were unissued or slighlty used only. And i've seen a Zeltbahn with black loops, only once.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks JP!
    Maybe a decade after the official order, adherance to it slipped a bit and the dye process dispensed with? I have some natural ones and all my zelts ( only 6 ) from 1939 - 1943 have plain ropes.
    Regards Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi guys

Like JP said, no real story behind it, except that the official manual H.Dv. 205/1 says that the Zelt rope has to be dyed black.... Unfortunately the reason for this is not known, also the small ropes on the Zelt itself are almost all of the time natural colour. I also saw one early zelt with black ropes, but I passed on it then.... Ahhhhhh stupid me

Btw, i have a few spare black ropes, so if you're interested in one, just drop me a PM

Tom

Got one of those from you Tom - thanks again! I have a theory about the black Zelt rope. Perhaps the coloring process added some kind of preservative to keep the rope from fraying. I'm not sure if this is true of fiber in general, but perhaps dyes can help keep them intact or maybe waterproof. I do know that recommendations were made to keep communications cables waterproof by treating them with Benzine. This is mentioned in one of the Nachrichten manuals. This is why you see some phone cables or field phone switchboard cables with a pale, cream color. The Benzine bleaches out the red or brown cloth color. Just a theory. NH

?

Cool. Thanks for sharing!!!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com