Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?

Article about: If u still need help with the badge you can see it use on this finnish movie at 0:53:00 in a the "soldier home" Sadly is this one on youtube dubbed into Russian Вдали от лÐ

Default Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?

Anyone recognize these Finnish badges? I know two of them are Wounded Veterans badges but what about the other two. Are the wound badges Civil Guard or Finnish Army? Is the Disabled Veterans Union badge a post war or wartime badge?

Thanks.
    Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?
    Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Anyone recognize this Finnish Civil Guard badges?

The first 2 is a War Veterans brotherhood Disabled member badges. the other one is a memory badge for soliders who fought in the winterwar, I think the disc that sits in the back has been replaced , these were sold to soldier on soldiers' homes to the soldiers who were interested. and the money was given to the War Veterans brotherhood to help the brotherhood. And the last one is a soldiers' home badges. all items are pretty fun things to have. but they are quite common. atleast here in Scandinavia I hop you understood me. My English is pretty bad

?

The 'broken sword' badge looks good IMO.
    Nice badges all of them.

Quote by Scout View Post
    The 'broken sword' badge looks good IMO.
    Nice badges all of them.

I agree, the red enamel is very nicely done. So if I get this right the top three are fund raising badges and the bottom is a what? Not quite sure what kemi means by 'home' but isänmaa tranlates into Fatherland so I'm thinking a patriotic badge of the Civil Guard (Suojeluskunta). Anyone know more? Was this also a fund raising badge or was it issued by the Suojeluskunta to its members (and under what circumstances)? Thanks.

BTW Kemi your English is just fine. Much better than my Finnish!

?

yes the top three are fund raising badges, and the bottom one if I'm not mistaken are given to those who worked at the "soldier home" it was a from of front cafe where soldiers could rest and eat, when they were not on the front. if you look at all the other (Suojeluskunta) awards you can see that they have three pine branches over the "S" and the "S" are almost always painted in white and not blue, if u translate their name from Suojeluskunta = White Guard. so then it is clear that the "S" should be white and not blue.

is so i don´t think this is a Suojeluskunta badge. it´s more like a lotta-svärd " . but i can be wrong.

Quote by kemi View Post
    yes the top three are fund raising badges, and the bottom one if I'm not mistaken are given to those who worked at the "soldier home" it was a from of front cafe where soldiers could rest and eat, when they were not on the front. if you look at all the other (Suojeluskunta) awards you can see that they have three pine branches over the "S" and the "S" are almost always painted in white and not blue, if u translate their name from Suojeluskunta = White Guard. so then it is clear that the "S" should be white and not blue.

is so i don´t think this is a Suojeluskunta badge. it´s more like a lotta-svärd " . but i can be wrong.
    Hey this is great. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply Kemi. Are you sure its for working in a cafe? I think know what your talking about (the cafes) and if it is that would be fine as I have a few Lotta Svard badges, a Lotta cap, photo and the bronze Medal for Merit.

Someone told me it was a home front sky watchers badge and I know that the Lottas did do that. Could it be that?

Also are the fund raising badges: were they made and sold during the wars ie 1939 - 1945, or post 1945. Any info you can provide is most welcome. I collected Finnish militaria for a while (very popular in the USA and Canada too - but less than the USA) and am trying to learn more. I used to know of a good Finnish collectors forum but the link is dead. So I'm searching here.

BTW I didn't know that Suojeluskunta meant White Guard.I always had been told it was the Civil Guard which suggests a civilian militia to aid the government in time of need but White Guard suggests something a bit more than just that.

But in the Finnish context I understand why White Guard and why Civil Guard would be suggested as an alternate meaning to non Finns.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Mike!
    if you want I try to transfer these pictures to Finnish forum(not in english, sorry) and ask there what exactly these badges are.
    here is lots of ww2 collectors and Im sure that some of them know something. =)

Thank you, that's very kind of you. I also posted some interesting Finnish pins that I know nothing about in another thread - would you post those pins as well please.

Unfortunately I don't speak Finnish.

At one time I was a member of a Finnish militaria collecting forum that had sub forums and posts in English. Sadly the link is now dead.

Hi!
    I dont know whats going on in finnish forum but I can not log in, sorry!...=(
    I continue trying and tell you if I get thru!

Thanks Hakaristi. I appreciate your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast