Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?

Article about: Hey guys! Got this box and around 100 other rounds for free. All the headstamps are marked "VPT" either "40" or 41". I checked 7.62x54r.net the head stamps on that p

Quote by GeneralPutnam View Post
    really great condition. I cant find 7.65 agr that was made as late as the 90's that's not breaking down.

My wife knows that if she ever has the unfourtane experience to use my smle, or 1891 arg mauser, that the ones with blacked out head stamps are last resort.

anyway period ammo that's in good condition is awesome the blue ap nose will show very well.
    7.65 is very hard to find, I have 5 boxes I bought a while ago. Figured why not lol?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?
    P
    Many

Just compared the rounds these are all 7.62.

This might be a long shot... and I could be totally mistaken but here's a suggestion.

The brass casing does appear to be .303 British. 7.7mm is the correct metric size for .303 bullets which would compare almost identically if not exactly to a 7.62mm bullet.

That the label says Flying Troops and might be armour piercing if they are indeed British makes me wonder if they were meant for British .303 Browning machine guns. Finland purchased twelve Hawker Hurricane fighters in 1940. The Hurricane was armed with eight .303 machine guns in its wings.

Hurricanes to Finland

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Those look like .303 British cartridges......Pete. The blue tip means AP.

Quote by dastier View Post
    This might be a long shot... and I could be totally mistaken but here's a suggestion.

The brass casing does appear to be .303 British. 7.7mm is the correct metric size for .303 bullets which would compare almost identically if not exactly to a 7.62mm bullet.

That the label says Flying Troops and might be armour piercing if they are indeed British makes me wonder if they were meant for British .303 Browning machine guns. Finland purchased twelve Hawker Hurricane fighters in 1940. The Hurricane was armed with eight .303 machine guns in its wings.

Hurricanes to Finland
    They could be .303 I am not a expert. Would be wicked cool if they were meant for airplanes. All the other VPT ammo is not blue tipped.

They are most definitely .303 British, also known as 7,7x56R. Close to Mosin 7.62x54R, but not the same....

?

Quote by fernleaf View Post
    They are most definitely .303 British, also known as 7,7x56R. Close to Mosin 7.62x54R, but not the same....
    That`s what I tried to tell him in my 2 posts.....
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The other British aircraft armed with .303 caliber machine guns flown by the Finns were Bristol Blenheims. Some were built under license, Nazi captured Yugoslavian aircraft were given or sold to Finland and some were obtained from Britain. The armament of BL 200 is given as .303 caliber machine guns.

Ilmasotakoulun Kilta | Bristol Blenheim Mk IV BL-200

BL-200 Blog

So sorry guys! When I was comparing the rounds I grabed the ones marked VPT 40. Witch are %100 7.62. I just grabed the VPT 41 and they have a longer neck I took some photos comparing them.

First round is current .303

Second is VPT 41

Third is VPT 40

Fourth is current 7.62

Sorry again guys I did not compare the VPT 41 to 7.62 till right now. Thanks for your patients with me
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?   Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?  

Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?  

Quote by zwerge View Post
    That`s what I tried to tell him in my 2 posts.....
    Sorry Zwerge. Thanks for your patients!

Quote by fernleaf View Post
    %100 right! Sorry! The VPT 41 are .303 , the VPT 40 are 7.62.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast