Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

Article about: Hello, thought I would finally share some images of one of the scarcest pieces of my collection. This is an original Finnish first state flag. It is a large garison size. Most Finns are comp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag
    P
    Many

?

Yea well somehow i have a feeling this debate its officiality was already 74 years ago so im more into naming Temporary state flag of Finland...
    Actually there is quite a few these Lion flags which been used different circumstances and places...

very nice flag, where did you find it ?

The flag was obtained from a private collector outside of Finland with the goal of returning it to the Finnish Museum system. I am currently starting to work on that process!!!

nice, thats a good goal !

Fooooook... I was hoping to buy.

[ If anyone has one of these or one of the earlier striped ones with a lion in the corner, I'll buy it. ]

Default Suggested alternative to the lion

Here's an alternative coat of arms with a bear, which would be culturally and historically more accurate than the lion:

FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

This one was suggested back when it was still being debated. Notice that it got rid of the elements pertaining to monarchy.

Hello, I fail to see how it would have been more culturally accurate….History was being written around Independence. The Lion represented strength and FREEDOM….. Regardless, this flag has been donated into the Finnish museum system as of October, 2023. It has gone to the Finnish Infantry Museum (Jalkaväkimuseo) in Mikkeli. It is the hands of a professional conservationist and will be displayed there in the future. Returning this historic First State Flag of Finland was always the goal so it could be seen by all future generations! It’s significance as an artifact cannot be overstated.

We Finns are people of the Bear. There's no lions here. The bear was sacred to us, and indeed it was even worshiped. Additionally, the bear was already used here in many contexts and has continued to be used to this day.

And was it the very first specimen of this particular type of flag?

Bear symbol is very much tied to Eastern Karelia since 1920.
    I can guess that person who suggested that Bear blue/white symbol, defininately didn't want swedish influence and chose Bear instead.

Our modern Lion heraldy with crown & 8 roses, is confirmed to exist in modern form since 1580.
    And thus has always been referred to "Old-Finland" or "Finland proper", coastal area stretching between Helsinki to Wasa/Vaasa city, but mainly referring to Åbo/Turku.

Even Russian Tzar adopted this "swedish" lion to represent 'Grand duchy of Finland' in their own collections of regions Tzar held
    Lesser coat of arms of the Russian Empire, right side.
    FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

Oh and awesome deed, donating the Flag in museum where it likely will be held in exhibit.
    In National Museum it would have just hidden in a box and get buried among countless other items in warehouse. Their collecion is too wast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2