Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

Article about: Hello, thought I would finally share some images of one of the scarcest pieces of my collection. This is an original Finnish first state flag. It is a large garison size. Most Finns are comp

Default FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

Hello, thought I would finally share some images of one of the scarcest pieces of my collection. This is an original Finnish first state flag. It is a large garison size. Most Finns are completely unaware that this was the first official flag of their country. The ones that have seen it automatically assume it is a Red Finn flag from the Civil War. This is in fact from the opposing side from the Finnish White army. They were made up then of a somewhat organized local militia or the "Suojeluskunta". This Civil Guard along with the other whites we're victorious in a bloody civil war Jan 27 - May 15, 1918.
    FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

The flag was official from December 1917 until May of 1918 when it was replaced with a variation of its current design due to it being the same color as the plain red workers communist flag.

The Lion and Rosettes motif are hand painted. FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

The current Finnish state flag still has a symbolic representation included to remember the origins of its original banner.
    Last edited by Snakeman68; 06-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag
    P
    Many

I'll be interested in seeing this. Unfortunately the images didn't load up.

?

Damn thats a old flag i remember reading these some time ago...
    Good that these wasn't chosen i kind of like current flag and it fits with other nordic countries...
    Hmm... i don't recommend machine washing it in 1500rpm... Thanks for showing really neat and rare!...

?

just to add here i came across this old magazine from 1944 it has article history of Flags and Finnish flag...
    although all this can be probably found in web but is always enjoyable to read old papers...

FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" FlagFINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag
    FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" FlagFINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag

?

Small confusing correction to text "Jalopeura" means Lion... naming comes from medievals...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Snakeman68 sad to say but according to this text your flag was unofficial and Russian flag was still offcial...
    But still really neat flag...

?

Lets just add here "first" official state flag of Finland from 1918-1920 can be found in Jyväskylä University Museum.

Sorcue: Jyväskylä University Museum
    Other proposals etc. can be found Wikipedia

Default NOT SO FAST... You Have Missed the Point.

More than evident is that this was THE FIRST SANCTIONED FLAG OFFICIALLY USED IN FINLAND. This WAS the first flag authorized for use by the Senate in Finland post independence from Russia. It is a fact that this was the state (although temporary) flag used by Finland. From the Ministry of the Interior....
    "Finland declared independence on 6 December 1917. The occasion was celebrated by flying the red and yellow lion flag from the Government Palace the same day, and during the first months of independence, it was also used as the semi-official state flag. The flag had a crimson-red field displaying the lion depicted in the arms of Finland, the golden animal armed in silver and surrounded by rosettes of the same colour. "
    History of the flag - Ministry of the Interior

Seems kinda like a significant artifact as we have just passed 100 years of Independence in Finland! Find One. I am currently working to get this one as well as my Pre indepencence flag into the museum system in Finland were it belongs. If you were there in Helsinki on Independence, you would have seen my flag flying over the Government Palace. NOT the one seen in Jyväskylä. That flag was NEVER used during the first days of independence or during the Civil war. Those times were chaotic. This one was flying there as well as over the battle field. This is not just semantics. That blue and white flag you have shown was not adopted until (May 29,1918) 14 days after the conflict was decided and the war was over. After the blood was spilled and people gave their lives for their country on both sides! After the history had already happened!
    Last edited by Snakeman68; 09-17-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Default Independence 1917-18

Here we have the Lion Flag flying over the Finnish Government Palace 1917 post independence! It was used in this capacity as the state flag as the country headed into a Civil War and until it was over. In the field the Lion flag predominated during the war as it had been the most popular pre war and at that time. It was legitimized with temporary status approved by the senate. (The senate was debating making it the official state flag when the civil war broke out) The other crimson and gold striped flag with state lion crest, as well as the lesser known blue and white striped flag with the same state crest (Proposed flags) were also flown during battles in the field during the civil war, although to a much lesser degree. Those flags had not received any official approval from the senate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag   FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag  

Other institutions also flew the Lion Flag as it was the only officially recognized state flag of this newly independent Parliamentary Democracy including the bank of Finland, and the University of Technology Helsinki.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag   FINLAND'S FIRST OFFICIAL  STATE FLAG 1917-1918! The Red "White" Flag  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast