Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Finnish Collar Tabs

Article about: Would anyone comment as to whether any of these Finnish collar tabs are authentic WW2 and which are post WW2? Sorry no photos of the backings but some have a sort of burlap backing and some

Default Finnish Collar Tabs

Would anyone comment as to whether any of these Finnish collar tabs are authentic WW2 and which are post WW2? Sorry no photos of the backings but some have a sort of burlap backing and some are a white or black material. Thanks.

Coastal Artillery Officer
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Infantry staff sargent
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Finnish Jaegers staff sargent
    Finnish Collar Tabs

General Staff Officer
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Field Engineers Corporal
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Engineer Officer
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Finnish Guards officer
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Field Artillery Officer
    Finnish Collar Tabs

Medical Officer
    Finnish Collar Tabs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finnish Collar Tabs
    P
    Many

Default Re: Finnish Collar Tabs

They all look wartime to me ,the way to tell with the NCO collars is that post war they use brass badges to show the ranks on the collar patchs,The bottom pair are very early prewar issue, a nice collection you have there

Thanks Kradman.

I read somewhere that the Finns had stocks of wartime collar tabs that were unissued and that these were later declared surplus. Unscrupulous sellers later sold these as being wartime issue.

I suspect that the two staff sergeant and corporal collar tabs might be so. These are very 'new' in appearance. Possibly the coastal and field artillery officer tabs as well. The others are more 'worn', and the medical officer is a different shape with two lines of 'piping'.

A question about the Finnish Guards collar tabs: these don't have the two sprigs in the corners - is it possible that these are EM tabs with rank rosettes attached to fake officer tabs? Or was this the practice or wartime expediency? Thanks.

Hi i dont see any problem with any of them ,Yes there was alot of wartime made unissued collar badges left after the war and these were still in use in the 1950s ,1960s and can be seen on uniforms from this time so it is hard to tell when yours have been used ,The only sure way to know when buying Finnish collar if wartime or used after is when they are still sewn to the tunic and the tunic is wartime dated or they come in with other wartime items from a good source,Yours are wartime made for sure and the bottom pair are prewar having the grey color to them ,still a nice collection and nice to see

Thanks for your reply kradman. Any thoughts about the missing 'sprigs' on the Guards collar tabs?

I think its most likely just down to what they had to issue at the time and most likely had run out of officer collar patches to issue so used these as a stop gap

?

A really nice collection of tabs Mike , great to see and thanks for showing them .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by dastier View Post
    Thanks Kradman.

I read somewhere that the Finns had stocks of wartime collar tabs that were unissued and that these were later declared surplus. Unscrupulous sellers later sold these as being wartime issue.

I suspect that the two staff sergeant and corporal collar tabs might be so. These are very 'new' in appearance. Possibly the coastal and field artillery officer tabs as well. The others are more 'worn', and the medical officer is a different shape with two lines of 'piping'.

A question about the Finnish Guards collar tabs: these don't have the two sprigs in the corners - is it possible that these are EM tabs with rank rosettes attached to fake officer tabs? Or was this the practice or wartime expediency? Thanks.

These are Maintenance Engineers collar tabs. Rank is Captain (Kapteeni).

Here's some of my Finnish insignia. Nothing much really. The lion tabs belonged to an officer, who served in the Border Guards during the Continuation War.

Finnish Collar Tabs
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 10-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Here's an update to my Finnish collar tab collection. I also have some more stored ones, part being most likely 90's and one Anti-Tank units collar tab. It seem's old, but I don't know if it's war time or not. Major collar tab is possible post war, but others are war time.

From upper left to right:

Corporal (Air Force), Lieutenant (Infantry), Captain (Pioneers), Major (General Staff), Lieutenant (Supply), NCO (Frontier Guard's).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finnish Collar Tabs  

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast