Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Finnish militaria

Article about: A couple more Finnish items from my small collection: Finnish identity disc and German 1916 ammo pouch used by the Finns.

Default Re: Finnish militaria

The Collector Grade Publications book "The Mosin Nagant Rifle" states in the Finnish chapter that that was so but it makes no sense as the rifles remained in Finnish War Stocks until the mid 1980s-the bayos are rare but this would reflect the low priority that the Finns had for producing them during the war-other things were far more important than the 'rifle mounted tin opener' to the war effort.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finnish militaria
    P
    Many

It was the first bayonet book I ever bought, it was paperback, and I think it was called Bayonets of the World. My books are in so many piles at the moment, I can't find the right one, but it did say that pretty much all were destroyed. It's nice to know that they weren't. I've got something else to add to my list now though.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The Collector Grade Publications book "The Mosin Nagant Rifle" .....
    Among the Mosin collecting community that book is known to be RIFE with inaccuracies. I believe the author is aware of this, and any future editions will be a bit better. Not a lot of info was around regarding Mosins when it first came out, and what was around wasn't always correct.

Finnish troops in The Winter, Continuation and Lapland Wars preferred to use their puuko knives for close up fighting, and many bayonets were thrown away, and we should also consider that there were not as many bayonets made as there was rifles ie. there was NOT a bayonet made for every rifle...

Yes, Puukko was and is today very handy tool in the forest exersices and close up fighting.
    ofcourse we have leatherman`s and that kind of tools in our belt too, but me and many of my comrades in army
    are still carrying Puukko in our belts.

And like Fernleaf says we had only minor amount of bayos, something like 1 to 10-20 rifles.

I was rather under the impression that the Finnish m/62 bayo was modelled on the 'Puukko' hunting knife for those reasons-highly unusual for a bayo to come with a razor sharp blade straight from the factory and with a leather sheath! (I have one somewhere about the place)

Yes the m62 bayonet is based on the Puukko knife and can be used as a knife or bayonet , these bayonets were made by Hackman and Fiskars , a nice looking and well made bayonet

Quote by Hakaristi View Post
    "I read that they were all destroyed after the war."
    Where did you read this kind of information!? =)
    Hakaristi, I've also read this on a web site about Finnish Mosin Nagants. But I've recently seen posts about M39 bayonets being offered for sale again. I'm negotiating to buy one right now. (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/finni...ayonet-302778/)

Quote by Hakaristi View Post
    Yes, Puukko was and is today very handy tool in the forest exersices and close up fighting.
    A wartime puukko would be a very nice addition to any Finnish militaria collection. So far I've had no luck in finding a wartime one.

The Collector Grade Publications book "The Mosin Nagant Rifle"...
    Quote by fernleaf View Post
    Among the Mosin collecting community that book is known to be RIFE with inaccuracies. I believe the author is aware of this, and any future editions will be a bit better. Not a lot of info was around regarding Mosins when it first came out, and what was around wasn't always correct.
    There are two very good print sources on Mosin Nagant rifles but both are expensive and neither are in English. One is a multi volume set in Finnish, and the other is written in German by Karl Heinz Wrobel. I keep hoping that K.H.'s book will be reprinted in English but so far not. M-N collectors would make it a best seller here in North America!

Dean...

Your m28 has the SY (Suojeluskuntain Yliesikunta) stamp and an early Tikkakoski stamp on the barrel shank (T in an inverted triangle) and the chamber has been bored for the D-166 heavy ball bullet ('D' stamp).

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/milit...aria-image.jpg

And although it was refurbished postwar, from what I've read the stock is a wartime made stock - it has the rounded finger splices.

You can see where the m27 stock was indented for the m27 'popsicle stick' nose piece.

Last edited by dastier; 05-19-2013 at 08:42 AM.

The Collector Grade Publications book "The Mosin Nagant Rifle" states in the Finnish chapter that that was so but it makes no sense as the rifles remained in Finnish War Stocks until the mid 1980s-the bayos are rare but this would reflect the low priority that the Finns had for producing them during the war-other things were far more important than the 'rifle mounted tin opener' to the war effort.
    You sure it's a COLLECTOR GRADE PUBLICATIONS book, not COLLECTORS ONLY PUBLICATIONS? I have most of the CGP books and don't remember a Mosin book amongst them... On the other hand this Terence Lapin shitty booklet contains as many lies and plain bull as his other "ultimate authoritative book" (authentic advertisement quoted) on Radom Vis pistol.

I was rather under the impression that the Finnish m/62 bayo was modelled on the 'Puukko' hunting knife for those reasons-highly unusual for a bayo to come with a razor sharp blade straight from the factory and with a leather sheath! (I have one somewhere about the place)
    Well, the Czech vz.58 bayonet also comes with a leather sheath, but is as dull as a stick :-)

Indeed the Vz58 is as blunt as a bowling ball but is the only other bayo I can think of that has a leather sheath rather than a scabbard. The MN book is a North Cape Publication.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5