Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with identification of these Finnish prewar and possible Winter War pins

Article about: Can anyone identify these pins and provide some information about them. One shows a knight armed with a sword and shield. The other appears to be an industrial worker crafting munitions. Bot

Default Help with identification of these 1939 Finnish pins (Winter War?)

Can anyone identify these pins and provide some information about them. One shows a knight armed with a sword and shield. The other appears to be an industrial worker crafting munitions. Both are dated 1939. Thanks.

Last edited by dastier; 05-15-2012 at 06:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with identification of these Finnish prewar and possible Winter War pins
    P
    Many

Ike
    ?

Default Re: Help with identification of these 1939 Finnish pins (Winter War?)

Somekind of homefront pins i guess. Given to people who had work for the war industry.

Default Re: Help with identification of these Finnish prewar and possible Winter War pins: NOW IDENTIFIED

I was searching on the web yesterday for Lotta Svärd images and came across a booklet by Sven A. G. Kjellstrom entitled Lotta Svärd Finnish Women’s Auxiliary Defence Service

A copy is available at LOTTA SVARD. Finnish Womens Auxiliary Defence Service - Naval & Military Press

Here is the colour plate and the bookLet its from:

Well I feel foolish...

I have this booklet in my library. I have now positively identified both these pins as Lotta Svärd pins.

Kjellstrom identifies them as Fund Raising Badges for the Karelian Peninsula Defense Works. But the booklet does not give any more info so my research continues...

Thanks

?

Default Re: Help with identification of these Finnish prewar and possible Winter War pins

They sure are! Great rare items from the Kurland battle, if I'm correct.

Default Re: Help with identification of these Finnish prewar and possible Winter War pins

Quote by Dean View Post
    They sure are! Great rare items from the Kurland battle, if I'm correct.
    Hi Dean ...not Kurland, these are Lotta Svärd pins. The Lottas were a female auxiliary force of the Finnish Civil Guard.

The Lottas were responsible for activities ranging from skywatching and communications; military canteen management, cooking and meal delivery; to nursing and preparation of soldiers bodies for burial.

I believe one pin does look similar to the Nazi Kurland Shield - however I'm not really familiar with Nazi awards.