MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Greatgrandfathers picture - What is his rank?

Article about: Let's see if anyone knows better than we do I'll upload both the pictures here. As I said, the pictures are really small and dont show anything new. These are really the only pics of him I c

Default My Greatgrandfathers picture - What is his rank?

Hello.

I have this picture of my greatgrandfather who served in the Finnish army from Winter War 1939, till he was wounded by a schrapnel to his leg in 1944 in Lotinapelto, Eastern-Karelia. He joined the army without any military training nor rank and when the war ended, he was at this rank, which must be some officer rank. He was ''Constructions Master'' (Rakennusmestari) as civilian, so he lead some construction works during the war, so he must've been in some Engineer troops.

If no one knows, maybe someone can direct me to some forum where people know about Finnish wartime ranks? I found nothing by googling and none remembers what his rank was.

By the way, is there any place where people are interested in seeing trench art made by him in 1943? I also have his medal of freedom and certificate signed by Carl Gustaf Mannerheim, Marshal of Finnish army, where reads that he has been given this medal for his efforts in the war and his rank at the time (Sergeant). I also happen to live in the house, which he built in 1946, just after he came back from the war.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Greatgrandfathers picture - What is his rank?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Greatgrandfathers picture - What is his rank?
    P
    Many

Default Re: My Greatgrandfathers picture - What is his rank?

Check out this Finnish website "Kevos4 Finnish Military" and you'll find a wealth of information that I'm sure will answer your questions on ranks and awards, along with plenty of Unit Histories and photos!
    I'm sure many of us would like to see your relics as well!
    cheers, Glenn

Wouldn't it be great to post pictures from grandfathers or even fathers in military uniform of any kind?
    It doesn't matter if the uniform is American, English, Russian, German or whatever!! It would also be
    great to give also some more information: for example unit, did he survive, was he killed in action.....
    I have seen it at another forum and it is great to know more about the backgrounds of our members!

Thanks MacGlenn, I'll check that site out.

That's a fine idea Wilhelm. Maybe I create a thread, where members can post pictures of their family members in uniforms, pics of their items/pictures you posses and tell their stories in wars they participated in and something from the life before/after it.

He was a panssarijoukot teknikko (armored forces Technician)
    Can't help with the rank

Hey Kevin.

How did you come to such conclusion? Does the sword indicate that?

What is it we do: make a new thread or continue here?
    There are many new members. Let's put new life into this?

Best start a new dedicated thread. Maybe the Disscussions forum might get the widest coverage?

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Okay Ade, I will make a start there and I hope many will follow!
    I suggest the thread to be named: Our Grandfathers and fathers in military service!
    Or suchlike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast