Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinion wanted on authencity of Finnish M39 bayonet...

Article about: Title says it all... What do you think... authentic M39 bayonet or not? Thanks.

Question Opinion wanted on Finnish M39 bayonet ...real or fake?

Title says it all...

What do you think... authentic M39 bayonet or not? Thanks.
    Last edited by dastier; 05-19-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added pic, attempted to fix misspelt word.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion wanted on authencity of Finnish M39 bayonet...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinion wanted on authencity of Finnish M39 bayonet...

If anyone is interested, I have received several opinions on another site that this is indeed an authentic M39 bayonet. The bayonet is on its way...

Will look good attached to my '41 Sako M39 rifle.

Its real mate! how much you paid it, if i may ask?
    Its looking good, normal price for that here in Finland is 200-280€

Thanks Hakaristi, I'd like to say I got a deal but I paid the higher amount.

However given that I bought it from a seller here in Canada, I paid the going rate and am happy to get it. Adding the shipping would make the Finnish price the same as I paid in Canada. This is only the second M39 bayonet I've seen for sale in Canada in the past 4 years.

Plus I read these are being faked. I've bought from the seller before and he has a good reputation. Its beneficial for me to cultivate a relationship with this seller as he has a contact in Finland and I don't. I bought my wartime Finnish M17 helmet from him.

?

Hey Mike , that's a great looking example , you can see straight away that it's period . I like the fact that is more of a multi tool as it looks as much a trench knife / dagger as it is a bayonet , a very nice find , congrats
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks Alan,

I was pretty sure it was the real deal - was mainly looking for confirmation. In any case, I did research what to look for and where fraudulent sellers make mistakes with their fakes. I did read that it is a very copied bayonet - must be do to its rarity and demand.

A very good history of Finnish bayonets is written by Vic Thomas and resides at Finnish Bayonets As it turned out, when I posted my question on Gunboards.com, Vic was one of the experts that vouched for its authenticity.

In short the M39 resembles the Finnish puukko which was used by Finnish soldiers as a fighting knife. The Finns apparently disliked the Russian spike bayonets which equipped the M91 Mosin Nagant rifles and threw them away, probably finding them unwieldly. (The M91 rifle is long enough by itself).

So along with the new and improved Finnish M39 rifle came the new and improved Finnish M39 bayonet. (If memory serves me correctly, I read that previous Finnish made bayonets were considered too long and also disliked by Finnish soldiers)

Once it arrives I'll post some pics of my Sako M39 rifle with the M39 bayonet attached. For comparison I will also post pics of my Finnish M28 with a Finnish M35 bayonet plus a Finn captured Russian M91 with a spike bayonet attached.

Opinion wanted on authencity of Finnish M39 bayonet...Opinion wanted on authencity of Finnish M39 bayonet...Opinion wanted on authencity of Finnish M39 bayonet..."Plus I read these are being faked."
    Thats true, me too has seen many copies, but if you know anything about old weapons and bayonets, you can say whats copied or not.

Thanks Hakaristi, I did some quick research when I saw this bayonet was for sale and was reasonably assured it was not a fake. But I hedged my bet by posting here and on Gunboards for opinions, and asking for an inspection period.

Update: received a P/M from the seller... the bayonet is shipping today. Once I get it I'll post more pics.

Does anyone know the meaning of the rectangular stamp on the wooden grip in the fifth pic from the top? I'm not too sure but I believed the Finnish military had a castle-type stamp or insignia. Could be wrong on this though, thanks.

The castle type stamp is todays stamp almost for everything in our army, tools, boxes, etc.
    Army started to use it approximately 1980s.

Thanks Hakarista. I'm really looking forward to getting this bayonet. I'd like to get an early version of the M91 spike bayonet for my M24 'Lotta' (not the Panshin type). Either Finnish or Russian marked. Are these available in Finland?

Anyone...

Which bayonet is appropriate for the M27 and M28 rifles - one being a Civil Guard rifle and the other Finnish Army?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast