Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SA M17 Stahlhelm

Article about: My purchase from a Finnish Militaria Exhibition. This one has definetly seen use. Front liner pad has been changed war era or before. The chinstrap has been fixed once. It has a couple of sm

Hmm, it very well could be. I thought that the first letter was either F or P.

Chris:
    In this context SA stands for Suomen Armeija (Finnish Army), not Sturmabteilung.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I see thanks for the info.
    chris

Further research has revealed markings on one of the brown pads: INT 28.

Very nice so dates the liner to 1928 so must have been relined by the Finnish at that time

Exactly Krad. Im not sure about the last number, but the first is 2 and the next is likely 8. As you can see, the front pad has been changed sometime before or during the war, so this helmet definetly has seen use (mind the repaired chinstrap too).

I scanned this for you. You may already know this, but I thought that it was a nice reference photo and comes useful. It's from the Journal of Military History, nro 15 (1996). The article about the helmets has also been published separately.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	677554  

?

Very nice acquisition ! And many new things to learn and discover about this fine historical helmet. Cheers!
    Dean

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    I see thanks for the info.
    chris
    Don't feel bad, it confused me too. lol

Default .

Thanks alot guys! Aleksander that indeed is a good photo to study! I have a book about Finnish helmets from 1918-1990 and it has that exact same page

Here's a side view in bright daylight and a close up of the iron cross!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	677559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	677560  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	677555  

It's a nice book, but sadly it isn't more indepht about the painting and further modifications that Finns did to these helmets. Very nice helmet indeed! I've gotten a fever of getting myself one...someday .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast