Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some Finnish rifle slings....

Article about: Every rifle needs a sling, so over the years I've tried to pick up as many Finn Mosin slings as I can find - usually before I find the appropriate rifle for it to go on.... Late Continuation

Default Some Finnish rifle slings....

Every rifle needs a sling, so over the years I've tried to pick up as many Finn Mosin slings as I can find - usually before I find the appropriate rifle for it to go on....

Late Continuation War Depot replacement sling with reused oval buckle..

Finnish Issue Italian Mannlicher Carcano sling...

Two Piece Civil Guard sling - commonly associated with M28-30 rifles..

Not too sure about this one.... Vic Thomas has called it a Continuation War M28 sling, but I think its probably more suitable for a carbine of some description? Its shorter than most Finn rifle slings.

Civil Guard Depot Replacement web sling - most commonly associated with Civil Guard issue M39s...

Civil Guard M91/M24 sling. Marked 'SY 1925'.

Finnish Captured Soviet M91/30 sling...

Late Continuation War Depot Replacement web sling

Civil Guard One Piece Leather sling. Marked 'SY 30'. Commonly seen on M28 rifles..

Green leather M39 Sling

Grey leather M39 sling - post war.

Green leather M39 sling - with reused oval buckle.

Army Leather sling with rectangular buckle. Most commonly seen on M91 and M27 rifles. Made from 1936 onwards - perhaps the most commonly used Finnish sling in WW2??

'Ersatz' rubberised canvas sling. Also known as a 'tractor belt' sling.

I'm keen to see if anyone can add any info to what I've posted - there are a few gaps in my knowledge.

I should also mention that the Finns used whatever sling they had on hand to put on whatever rifle, so technically any rifle/sling combo is correct - I even have a photo of a Finnish soldier with a Carcano sling on his M39...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Some Finnish rifle slings....

Great collection of slings - thanks for posting!

Here's another variation of a wartime Soviet M91/30 sling captured by the Finns in WW2.

It appears to be a Soviet 'ersatz' variation - the buckle is much thinner and flatter, and the web its made from is also thinner and has a less coarse weave than others I've encountered.

With the Finnish propensity to use whatever was available made from whatever materials it's a wonder if you would find more than a few slings that were of the same pattern. Good collection there.

Yes it would seem the Finns were masters of recycling and improvisation out of necessity. Thanks for posting.

Here's another one...

I believe this sling to be a Finnish Captured SVT40 "Naval Infantry" Sling that has had a roller buckle fitted to the dog collar end...

?

I love this thread on Finn -SA- ,-SY- slings! I have been looking for a decent one for my m27/28 Finn Mosin nagant . I am currently using a mauser k98 sling. Any opinions are welcomed.thanks for sharing these awesome slings with us!
    Dean

Thanks Dean.

As it turns out, the sling I posted above is a very rare original SVT40 sling. There is nothing 'Naval Infantry' about it. The roller buckle is correct.

...and here's another one I received today.

Early Civil Guard 'M91/M24' sling that has later had the Army style oval buckle put on it.

Here's another one I received today from a very kind gentleman in Finland.

Rubberised Canvas - also called a "Tractor Belt Sling" - sling made by Oy Suomen Hihnatehdas (Finnish Belt Factory Ltd.) in 1941. This orange type is more rare than the blue-gray version I've shown above.

The condition of this sling is immaculate - its still flexible and appears to be unissued.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4500.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	912225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4501.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	912226  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4502.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	912227  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast