Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Suunto/Physica compass questions

Article about: Looks like the last time these were discussed on the forum it was 2014. Ive obtained three recently, two Suunto and one Physica, and the markings are still intriguing. The Physica has no mar

Default Suunto/Physica compass questions

Looks like the last time these were discussed on the forum it was 2014. Ive obtained three recently, two Suunto and one Physica, and the markings are still intriguing. The Physica has no markings and so must have been privately purchased. The Suuntos both have the SA in a box with a T nearby. They also both have depot numbers - a 3 and a 7 that looks like a Z - in a circle with two crossed arrows. One has a PVT in a box. Both have serial numbers and glass faces.

In the 2014 posts no one would/could date these. Is that still the case?

Why does one have a PVT mark and the other not?

Which depot is number 7?

What does the T near the SA stand for?

Thanks!

John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Suunto/Physica compass questions
    P
    Many

Likely made since 1930- or 1940-ties. Middle one seems to have repaired once, got newer path-ring. There is more variations I could tell more, but here is story short.

Physica stamped compass is older than Suunto made.
    Physica is milled, Suunto is either stamped or cast made.
    Physica developed and patented compass, but Suunto company hi-jacked model and mass-produced said compass.
    Physica made lawsuit and won, but only Suunto continued production and Physica got monetary cut from Suunto sold compasses.

PVT is "PuolustusVoimien teknillinen varikko" or "tutkimuskeskus", I have forgotten which one. Technical acceptance stamp usually shows in 6x30 binoculars, sight optic, artillery tripod aiming devices and these compases. Why others are missing it? Likely received to depots at different batches and between long time-frame as there is 200k plus? made of these.

T is likely "Talousvarikko" bought or received acceptance stamp. It is always accompanied with SA property stamp next to it.

Don't know depots numbers 3, Z or 7. Funny that they only shows in these compasses.

Thanks for the info Verikauha!

In the 2014 post Datrus wrote the following "......Weapons Depot 7...... was located in Iisalmi, Peltosalmi village (1944 - 1953) and then they moved it to Ähtäri, Inha village 1954-1992." Dont know where he found this information but was hoping for something similar on depot 3.

I also saw that info in wikipedia, but decided to bypass it. Depot stamps were put likely when they received them new first time. Also other reason why only part of them has PVT stamp, as they were distributed to whole country wide to garrison depots.

Nowadays every Finnish conscript gets his own Suunto compass, and training to use it. But back then only map handlers got it. Yes it is still in use, albeit army Suunto is plastic green nowadays.

Finnish army catalog text from year 1970, of model 34 and newer m/60 suunto. Mostly technical jumble mumble..

Never seen that rounded corners 34 model, second middle. And I think I have seen a lot of them.
    Suunto/Physica compass questionsSuunto/Physica compass questions