Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

The Unknown Soldier (movie 1985)

Article about: Hello, I would just like to share with you this Finnish film (Tuntematon Sotilas) from 1985 This film is the second silver screen adaption of the Finnish war book by Väinö Linna with the sam

?

Default The Unknown Soldier (movie 1985)

Hello,

I would just like to share with you this Finnish film (Tuntematon Sotilas) from 1985

This film is the second silver screen adaption of the Finnish war book by Väinö Linna with the same name as the film. The story is based on Linna's experiences as an infantry man in the Finnish army during the so called "Continuation War" (1941-1944). The film tells the story of the fate of a machine gun platoon made up of young conscripts from various parts of Finland fighting against the Russian army from the beginning (summer 1941) to the end (summer/autumn 1944) of the war. Many of the caracters are based on author Linna's brothers in arms

If I may say i think this film is in my top 10 in war movies. I found this with English subtitles if anyone would like to see it.

Tuntematon Sotilas - YouTube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Unknown Soldier (movie 1985)
    P
    Many

Default Re: The Unknown Soldier (movie 1985)

Thank you, i'm going to watch that tonight!...

AIF
    ?

Thanks for the link! I will check it out

Cheers Luke.

?

please write a comment about it later if you enjoyed it

Quote by kemi View Post
    please write a comment about it later if you enjoyed it
    Will do!...

Kemi... I have both the 1955 B&W version and the 1985 version and enjoyed both. But I must say I like the earlier version best.

I also have Framom Främsta Linjen (Behind Enemy Lines), Rukajärven tie (Ambush), Talvisota (The Winter War) and Tali-Ihantala 1944 which even though in the end the Finns don't fare well, I think was a gutsy movie for the director to make. I especially like the depiction of Finnish and Soviet armour using period tanks/SPGs.

I recommend all of these movies!

Thank You

I have to agree that I like the first Tuntematon Sotilas movie, the second seemed too rushed and the acting was quite bad, although the budget was bigger and more effort had been put in the uniforms etc.

Talvisota (1985) is great and especially when you see the uncut version. It shows the fierce battles of the Winter War well and the typical Ostrobothnian (A muncipilaty in Finland) temperament. There was a joke during the wars, that the Ostrobothnians would have to be tied into trees, so that they wouldnt charge to their death because of their short temper.

Another great film is Rukajärven tie (1999). I think the atmosphere of Finnish soldiers reclaiming their countrys former areas, now on the enemys hands is great, as it is very eerie and you constantly get the feeling of being alert.