Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia

Article about: I am new member to forum. Here is my small contribution. Here is few examples of WW2 Finnish army unit insignia in cloth. Well known are enamelled metal badges worn by officers and soldiers,

?

Default WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia

I am new member to forum. Here is my small contribution. Here is few examples of WW2 Finnish army unit insignia in cloth. Well known are enamelled metal badges worn by officers and soldiers, known as aseveli (Brothers in arms) or more commonly as rähinäremmi (nickname of officers belt cross-strap) badge. Lesser known are cloth insignia worn in jacket sleeves or cloth stripes worn around shoulderstrap. I display here examples from my selection.

Top row. JR58 (inf.rgt.58), 4th division staff (W=Winell, commander), 4th Division (universal pattern)

Second row: 2nd Btl/19.Brigade, JR48 (Inf.rgt 48), 5.Division/artillery (known are green, red, blue and purple versions)

These are very interesting to collect, but rarely encountered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia
    P
    Many

Cool patches, thanks for sharing!...

Hello. I am new to this forum.
    I am interested in Finnish and other nations militaria and history.
    I noticed these un-offcial unit cloth insignia/patches.
    Nice collection Rami S. You share with us a red 5. division/artillery sleeve patch. And mention some other colors; green, blue and purple.
    Since the red sleeve patch symbolize Artillery, what does the other colors symbolize?
    Do you know that?

Thanks,
    Kingpin

?

Hi Kingpin,

Welcome to forum! The colors represent branch colors which are found on collartabs.
    Green = Infantry
    Purple = Engineers and Signals
    Blue = Supply

Thank you for your fast and kind answer.

Do you have any pictures of the other colors?
    I've only seen one, now two with yours. But the second I saw seemed black with a yellow Lynx.
    Will it be possible to obtain images in which the cloth insignia is in use - Now since it was un-official?

What were the politics of the army around these cloth insignias?
    I mean now since they were unofficial and sewn into the "state property" uniforms?

- Kingpin

?

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have image from another colored version. Friend of mine has blue version and I have seen a M/36-jacket with purple version on sleeve. The black backing should be for anti-tank/armoured branch of division. If it is really black and not dark-blue, then it is fifth color to encounter. Interesting.

Army did not approve these (the same thing with cloth patch was with US army in WW1, first they disliked them and later discovered it to be good for spirit) Only official unit based insignia was for armoured division. Other cloth patches were mostly telling duty and branch of soldier, like Military police.

Rami

Hi,

Okay. Maybe other members have pictures of these 5. Division cloth insignias?
    Will it be possible for you to get a picture of the blue version?
    I found a picture of the black, blue or maybe even green version. It will be up to you to decide.
    I will try to add it in this message.

Since the army did not allow it why did the army let them do it?
    Yes I have heard about Lagus Division and also once seen the cloth insignia.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Do you know about other cloth insignias like the ones you shared with us above?
    Are there others?

WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia

- Kingpin

?

Default Period photos of patches

Hi,

Officially army do not accept these, but as you can see from following photos officers who should monitor appearance of soldier wear patches as well. Finnish army men, NCO´s and officers in frontline eat same food, sleep in same tent, etc. This is the finnish way and still is. So, they are part of unit of their men, "espirit de corp"

The image you are showing is IMO the green one.

Below couple period images patches in wear.

officers from JR25 in 1944 and officer from JR48
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia   WW2 Finnish army un-official unit cloth insignia  

Thank you for providing these photos. And thanks for telling facts of the Finnish army during the war and now. Funny to see how high ranked officers have it attached. So maybe not that un-official as first suggested.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Green it is. I just thought it maybe was black. It seems black.

Do you know where these different cloth insignias were made?

Can you provide pictures of where the 5. Division is in use?

- Kingpin

Nice patches! I've never seen regimental one's before, but only division. Was there one for Osasto Törni (Detachment Törni)? I know that they had a special insignia.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast