Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dress bayonet with stag grips

Article about: Hi everyone, I bought this dress bayonet for 100\\$. I think it's a good deal. It's a dress bayonet with stag grips. It has no maker mark. The red stuff is still in the slot, which is uncommon

Default Dress bayonet with stag grips

Hi everyone,
    I bought this dress bayonet for 100$. I think it's a good deal.
    It's a dress bayonet with stag grips. It has no maker mark.
    The red stuff is still in the slot, which is uncommon.
    I have 3 questions about this bayonet.
    What department used this kind of bayonet?
    Why doesn't it have a maker mark?
    This dress bayonet has stag grips instead of plastic grips. What does that indicate? Was the original owner of this bayonet more special?
    Any comment is appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dress bayonet with stag grips  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dress bayonet with stag grips
    P
    Many

You got a good one, and for a good price. These were private purchase side arms to wear with a "walking out" uniform, off duty. They were not issued (usually). They were used by both Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe personnel primarily enlisted and NCO's. The red felt is generally said to signify Wehrmacht and Flak formations, though I am yet to see the written orders to confirm that thinking.
    Many of these "parade bayonets" (which is really a mistake as they were not worn on parade) are not maker marked. The reason for this is also a bit murky but could be related to certain contracts and supply to military outfitter shops. For collectors the marked blades are more sought after.
    The standard grips were black bakelite, but if you could afford it, you could buy one with either wooden imitation stag horn grips, or real stag horn grips, which were the more expensive. But they signify nothing more than more money outlaid, and of course look nicer.
    What you need now is a correct "parade frog" of patent leather, and a correct troddel and you have a nice set.