Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Fire bayonet with a motif pattern

Article about: Hi guys! Help determine the authenticity of the patterns I heard that a lot was done to increase the value after WW2. This is a model with a steel handle covered with nikil. I bought it very

Default Fire bayonet with a motif pattern

Hi guys! Help determine the authenticity of the patterns I heard that a lot was done to increase the value after WW2.
    This is a model with a steel handle covered with nikil.
    I bought it very cheaply for 180 euros. I'm going to sell, can you tell me how much it can cost now?
    Thank you all if anyone is interested I can take more photos of any place!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fire bayonet with a motif pattern   Fire bayonet with a motif pattern  

Fire bayonet with a motif pattern   Fire bayonet with a motif pattern  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fire bayonet with a motif pattern
    P
    Many

Hi Colt

Values are based on seen other examples with the same motif depending on condition and rarity.
    Your Best route would be to compare with other dealers for market values if you can find a similar example.
    This website is not a valuation service.

Since many dress bayonets with fire bayonets being the same plated type with panel etches have been found to be fake..lets first determine if there is any value left in this bayonet with the present etching on blade and pommel.

Sharper eyes would prevail in this case ..and would be best to wait for Anderson or Fred to comment.
    Below are devalued Bayos. Authentic Bayos with bogus etches.
    Hopefully your example will not be like one of these.

Wait for more thoughts and opinions.
    This is a first for me to see a panel etch on a Firemans bayonet.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I believe this is a post war etched faschinenmesser. Etched Feuerwehr faschinenmesser are fairly rare to begin with. A triple etched example, including a pommel etching almost never seen. That rarity and the quality of the etching IMO, is not up to Solingen master etching standard of the 1930's.
    The inscription is also not typical of an authentic Feuerwehr etching. They usually say something like "Fur 25 Jahrige Treue Dienstzeit" (For 25 years of loyal service) and were a presentation, presumably on retirement. So genuine faschinenmesser, bad etching would be my call.

Just to illustrate the point, a picture of an authentic faschinenmesser etching, on a 20cm Carbine style blade;

I agree with Anderson, this fire bayonet was postwar etched. It was listed on Eban several months ago for $450 or thereabouts.

The etch pattern includes a very common Feuerwehr motif & the fleur de lis synonymous with Eickhorn but the hilt is clearly not Eickhorn. Also for reference, the "Berufsfeuerwehr" dedications (Berlin, München, Tilsit, Hanover, Hamburg) are common however I have yet to see a legitimate example in 20 years of collecting fire bayonets.

As mentioned, period etched fire bayonets are exceedingly rare & if original, can fetch several thousand dollars. Many times, examples can be identified as fake by the obvious signs of tampering or poor workmanship. Even if one doesn't show obvious signs of fakery, you can still be at risk with the ever better fakes emanating from the East. Best to know your source & post pics for opinions, whenever possible.