Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. Luneschloss

Article about: Here is my newest blade, surprisingly enough it is a Police bayonet! A 1920s slotted Prussian Police bayonet which has been cut down and amended to meet Third Reich requirements. Nice clean

Default Gendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. Luneschloss

Here is my newest blade, surprisingly enough it is a Police bayonet!

A 1920s slotted Prussian Police bayonet which has been cut down and amended to meet Third Reich requirements.

Nice clean blade with manufacturers name stamped near the crossguard. Whilst the scabbard looks black in the photos, it is very dark brown and can be seen easily in the sunlight.

This particular bayo is matching numbers, with S.D.I 192 stamped on the crossguard and the scabbard. I couldn't find an exact match for these three characters though.

As for the portepee, it didn't come with one so I bought a variation that I hadn't seen before. It is a very late war version and is made of plastic. It has the feel/look of liquorice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. Luneschloss
    P
    Many

Schützpolizei Dusseldorf I think.

Thanks Richie, yeah I found SD no probs, it was the I that threw me.

Cheers

Jamie

The "I" represents an administrative sub-division. As I am away from my books at the moment I can't tell you any more !

However, the man who wrote the book has this to say ...

"S.D.I is convincingly identified in the book as the Schupo command at either Essen or Düsseldorf. Upon further consideration, I believe it is more likely to be Essen as that city was the location of the headquarters of the police general responsible for the Ruhr region and probably would have been designated by the Roman numeral I. This is however a tentative identification.

New Insights

Ahhh, it's a Roman Numeral rather than a letter. That's where I was wrong.

Thank you for the link ����

Very nice example Jamie. Yes, Richie is correct it is Dusseldorf, the third character represents the Police duty location or "station", and always in roman numeral. I have seen some marked "S.D.V." where "V" is the roman numeral for 5, so we could say "Police station 5".

?

Strange or wrong there is the czechoslovak or austrian frog. The eagle was mostly moved on grip to lower position, i assume Schutzpolizei is not a Gendarmerie(Landjaegerei) pcs in that direction.So the leather of scabbard should be black not brown. Its possible the color was lightened in years? b.r.Andy

Unfortunately at the time, I did not pay enough attention to the positioning of the eagle on the grip. I can only imagine that this bayo has been denazified after the war and at some point (a long time ago by the looks of the patina etc) another eagle was placed on it.

For the price I paid, I should have paid more attention and I've contacted the seller to discuss.

Cheers

Jamie

Probably a good idea Jamie. Clearly the eagle badge is low and not where one originally was positioned. Was it removed as a post war de-nazification? That is a little harder to be sure of, (there's always a chance the pin broke and made the badge loose). Likewise when the replacement was attached (if in fact it is a replacement and not the original) is also difficult to be certain, at least from photos. Can you see behind as to how it was attached? It is odd it wasn't re-positioned in the original place, but a broken off pin is visible in the left hole.

Quote by jamie7d7 View Post
    Ahhh, it's a Roman Numeral rather than a letter. That's where I was wrong.

Thank you for the link ����
    Yep, it is still the same in the German police, at least it was during my service in Germany. The designation is similar to a UK police division which as you know most of the 43 forces nominate as; A Div, B Div etc. The German word is Direktion I, II, III, etc. The smaller sub units include; Polizei Wache, Abschnitt, Polizeirevier, Meldestelle all subordinate to the "Direktion". Further up the chain is Polizeipraesidium which is like our Force HQ although if memory serves me correctly the Polizeipraesidium sometimes has a presence in more than one location.

My one polizei bayonet is an S.D.II also by Luneschloss

Gendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. LuneschlossGendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. LuneschlossGendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. LuneschlossGendarmerie bayonet, slotted version by P.D. Luneschloss

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast