Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

III. Reich Polizei Seitengewehr

Article about: Hello guys. I need your opinion about This bayonette. Regards Igor

Default III. Reich Polizei Seitengewehr

Hello guys. I need your opinion about This bayonette.
    Regards
    Igor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement III. Reich Polizei Seitengewehr
    P
    Many

I have no confidence that was even made in the Third Reich era. It appears to be an S98/05 bayonet but the fittings of the mortice lock are crude and I suspect the entire thing is a post WW2 reproduction. The grip plates are crudely shaped, the etched pommel and crossguard poor quality, the blade, possibly reshaped,and out of focus, appears deeply pitted. It's not authentic and something to avoid.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I have no confidence that was even made in the Third Reich era. It appears to be an S98/05 bayonet but the fittings of the mortice lock are crude and I suspect the entire thing is a post WW2 reproduction. The grip plates are crudely shaped, the etched pommel and crossguard poor quality, the blade, possibly reshaped,and out of focus, appears deeply pitted. It's not authentic and something to avoid.

I agree

My knowledge does not extend as far as Anderson's as to the original "identity" of this piece but it definately not a Polizei bayonet.

The pommel and therefore the scales are the wrong shape and I do not recognise the oak leaf pattern on the pommel and crossguard.
    The scabbard type is not correct for what this is pretending to be.

As Anderson says; the images are poorly focussed but the blade which is not correct anyway has very bad damage that also to my eyes looks rather strange for genuine long time corrosion. To me it looks deliberate rather than natural.

This piece is just wrong and I am getting a slight scent of the Indian sub-continent here!

It would be OK for "shop dressing" on the wall of a theme-pub perhaps but otherwise no, if you don't already have it (in which I hope you can get a refund) don't touch it.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-26-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This is a real one for comparison;

III. Reich Polizei SeitengewehrIII. Reich Polizei Seitengewehr

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

PSS bayonets were made from older S98/05, here are the butcher blade front piece narowed to normal wide.About eagle i could confirm is good or not, the pommel was engraved. b.r.Andy

The bayonet itself may be authentic, I think I can see a makers mark on the ricasso. But it is a relic piece and one side of the pommel is heavily corroded suggesting it's been ground buried. The other components; grip plates, eagle, scabbard are recent additions to cobble together. The era of the pommel and cross bar etching is difficult to determine. What is obvious, is as we now see it, it is a concoction.

?

Its possible that someone restored the grips and eagle, anyway a PSS is more valuable as normal police SG. The pictures are low quality here.b.r.Andy

?

Here is an example sold by lakeside. SS P.S.S. Bayonet with portepee | Lakesidetrader. I agree with Anderson, relic, cobbled together.

While I think that Lakesidetrader (Paul Hogle) as one of the newer dealers is more enlightened that some of those from the 'Old School', unfortunately he sometimes seems to keep repeating what others may have said that has no factual or provable basis. "Anodized" German Police scabbards? Did the Police also "Anodize" their pistols and rifles?? And while I know that some dealers/collectors like to attach different knots to various swords and bayonets to enhance salability (a general comment I'm not at all suggesting that Paul did this). What actual period proof is there that Polizei Seitengewehr Sonderausfuhrung can be attributed to the "special SS-Polizei units." Especially since the only known period in use photo shows a couple of low grade Policeman wearing the P.S.S. - and the known period German use of that term more closely related to the U.S. use of the term "substitute standard" . Best Regards, Fred