Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long bladed Polizei bayonet

Article about: Also today I took delivery of this nice Long bladed Police bayonet, I was surprised with how heavy it is. Made by Eickhorn with nice antler handles, lovely detailed eagle pommel and brown le

Default Long bladed Polizei bayonet

Also today I took delivery of this nice Long bladed Police bayonet, I was surprised with how heavy it is.

Made by Eickhorn with nice antler handles, lovely detailed eagle pommel and brown leather scabbard. Must find the appropriate frog and portepee with time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Long bladed Polizei bayonet
    P
    Many

They are rather attractive pieces. My favorite to look at. Thanks for posting

I've always liked the police bayonets-particularly the long unslotted ones.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A nice bayonet, unfortunately not marked, seems rural (hardly to get), but good, they are heavy, I have 4 of them ... pretty

?

They are my favourite bayonets!!
    You done well, i especially like the angry looking gripeagles!
    I have owned a few along the years and they Always tic my boxes!
    Regards
    Ger

Thats a superb piece, a great find. I think you did amazingly well there. Must have been your lucky day.
    Well done.
    D.

I think they are one of the most attractive of all the TR era bayonets.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A very nice addition, always a favourite of mine

As mentioned above it is a rural police item (indicated by the brown leather rather than black for municiple police) and the frog should be the same colour which may be hard to find.

Here are a few points I have learned about these that might be of interest;

These were originally converted from earlier combat bayonets and the first of this type retained the slot and spring catch for fitting to a rifle. For decorative purposes the slot was filled with a strip of coloured felt; red for municiple and green for rural police. However, as these bayonets were worn as a kind of badge of office or duty appointment they were never intended to be fitted to a rifle so later pieces were "new" manufactured without the slot or spring catch. The markings on the crossguard and scabbard throat are not always present as these were unit rather than issue or maker marks. They typically indicate the police unit and the serial number of the bayonet within the unit.

My example is marked S.D.II.38 which breaks down thus;

S = Schutzpolizei
    D = Duesseldorf
    II = The 2nd Direction
    38 = Bayonet number 38 within that unit.

Another useful pointer towards authenticity is multiple indentations on the back face of the pommel often referred to as "tap tap marks" which were caused by plod using his bayonet to "tap" in tacks or nails when putting up posters of "good news and enlightenment" What poor equipment husbandry for you! Coppers never change

Here are a couple of pics of my early municiple police bayonet;

Long bladed Polizei bayonetLong bladed Polizei bayonetLong bladed Polizei bayonetLong bladed Polizei bayonetLong bladed Polizei bayonet

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-14-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Finally found a suitable brown leather frog to go with the bayonet. Straight from its homeland, a 1938 manufactured frog. It is very similar to a k98 frog but it fits perfectly and looks good.

Proper portepee/knot will be here soon.

Happy days

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Long bladed Polizei bayonet  

?

Jamie i like it!
    Lenght and colour wise a great fit, congratz!

Ger

Ade had a similar one in an auction once, and posted it here, height of the frog rivets looks like yours.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...ayonet-530200/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast