Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

Article about: A thread to simply list the known makers of the Polizei side arm (in bayonet style) of the Weimar/Third Reich era. During the Weimar republic period up to early Third Reich the side arm had

Default Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

A thread to simply list the known makers of the Polizei side arm (in bayonet style) of the Weimar/Third Reich era. During the Weimar republic period up to early Third Reich the side arm had a 44cm (17 inch) blade. In 1936 under TR direction the blade size was reduced to 33cm (13 inch). Existing police issue side arms were cut down to reduce blade length and the Weimar republic badge on the stag grip plate was replaced with the TR eagle and clamshells if fitted, removed. These refurbished side arms typically have 2 large alloy rivets securing the grip plates. Conversion work was believed to have been done by Police Armourers.

The number of Solingen makers who made these side arms was not great, as most produced were for the Polizei under contracts, possibly differing by regions. Some private purchase Police side arms were made, and often by the smaller producers.

Most of the Police side arms we see today are ones made by one of five large producers. The producers are listed below beginning with the makers most commonly seen. Actual production numbers are not available so ranking is survey based. Some will likely have been missed and will be added later.

1) Alexander Coppel, ALCOSO, ACS

2) WKC, Weyersburg Kirschbaum & Cie

3) E.u F. Horster

4) Carl Eickhorn

5) F.W. Holler

6) Paul Weyersburg

7) PUMA

8) Clemen & Jung

9) J.A. Henckels

10) Robert Klaas

11) Carl Julius Krebs

12) P.D.Luneschloss, also sword & helmet logo used.

13) Ewald Cleff

14) E Pack & Sohne
    Last edited by Anderson; 04-03-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: additions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich
    P
    Many

Great thread!
    Thank you for making this.

Best
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

Anderson, a majority of these I have seen are Alcoso. I have owned about 6-7 of these...& the maker was always Alcoso
    D.

This will be a useful reference as it develops.

May I add; PD Luneschloss, Solingen.

Also worth a mention regarding these is the stamps on the crossguard and scabbard which are local in each case and typically indicate; S = Schutzpolizei, The town/city, the Direktion (precinct or division) and a unit serial number;

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third ReichPolice side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

This one is from Duesseldorf

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-24-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Watchdog, I actually had PD Luneschloss in my notes but left it out. Some examples by this maker only use the logo of the sword & helmet, no writing.

We'll try to keep this thread to only makers, other features such as the crossguard letter codes could go into a separate thread. Thanks all.

David, I suspect you are right, it was a toss up whether to put Alcoso or WKC at No.1, and certainly for the separate category of Police issue combat K98 bayonets Alcoso and WKC seem to be the main contract suppliers.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    David, I suspect you are right, it was a toss up whether to put Alcoso or WKC at No.1, and certainly for the separate category of Police issue combat K98 bayonets Alcoso and WKC seem to be the main contract suppliers.
    RE: The German Police-combat (S.84/98) bayonets Coppel is the most common IMO with both early and later examples. P. Weyersberg the next with some of them dated, followed by Hörster the least common and not easily identifiable. But WKC did not make the list at least in my experience, although there's no question that they made the Behörden types. Best Regards, Fred.

Let me know " exactly " what should be added and will edit the post.
    Thankyou Anderson for your research and presence on the forum.

The Police and Fire Bayonets just got more popular in collecting and study

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank You Anderson,
    An excellent thread that should receive "STICKY" status

Oh! I see it already is in the STICKY section!!!
    Good Deal!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

The main point of the thread is to identify the manufacturers, not so much a "top of the pops", of who made most. Something that might be useful is adding images of the makers mark such as Watchdog did with the P.D.Luneschloss example. So if you want to post a closeup of the maker's mark, feel free to add to the thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast