Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

does anyone know what this is supposed to be?

Article about: found this plaque/shield/crest/thing in a box of random militaria, wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to its purpose? kind regards Ed

Default does anyone know what this is supposed to be?

found this plaque/shield/crest/thing in a box of random militaria, wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to its purpose?

kind regards
    Ed

does anyone know what this is supposed to be?does anyone know what this is supposed to be?does anyone know what this is supposed to be?does anyone know what this is supposed to be?

Hello Ed

It appears to be Polish and a hat badge. Haven't seen one like it before but I also don't collect items such as this. Whatever it is, it's really neat.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Thanks mark, i've just moved this to the polish section incase anyone there can help.
    I thought it may be some kind of heraldry coat of arms?

Ed

Hi Ed, not sure what exactly what it is but I doubt it’s a military item. The IHS Christogram at the top suggests a possible Roman Catholic religious connection. Sorry I can’t offer anything more.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony is right, Catholic.

IHS - Christogram for the name of Jesus using the first three letters of the word in Greek. The Greek Christogram ΙΗΣΟΥΣ (IHSOUS) for Jesus, and in Latin Iesus Hominum Salvator, "Jesus saviour of mankind."

"Key" to the Kingdom of Heaven

The eagle can also be symbolic of St. John the Evangelist, because like the eagle he looked upon, "the sun of glory." The Word of God has the power to raise us up on eagles wings and bring us to heaven.

My feeling is this one half of a two-headed eagle.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

catholic badge.

The finish on the casting of your item looks similar to some of the cast Polish badges (below) produced whilst the Polish army was based in Palestine. As does the design of the eagle. Not half of a doubled-headed design as I felt it might have been at first.

So maybe Polish forces padre in the Middle East 1940s.....??
    Attached Images Attached Images does anyone know what this is supposed to be?  does anyone know what this is supposed to be? 
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks guys, Given me some great pointers. I will investigate further along the Catholic route.
    And stefan, i see what you mean about the casting and design of the eagle, some similarities there for me to investigate!.
    This item has definitely got my interest. I will let you know if i find out anything else!

thanks again for your time and input.
    Ed