Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet and East German Flag

Article about: Hey guys, I found what on the surface looks to be a good deal on a Soviet and East German flag for only 25\\$ before shipping. I've been planning to expand the scope of my small existing colle

Default Soviet and East German Flag

Hey guys, I found what on the surface looks to be a good deal on a Soviet and East German flag for only 25$ before shipping. I've been planning to expand the scope of my small existing collection with Soviet and East German militaria. I figured that it would be a good idea to get opinions on these two flags since to me the East German flag looks a bit new. The Soviet flag on the other hand seems to be of subpar construction from the photos the seller presented. Any opinions would be appreciated.

P.S. I've tried to post a link to Etsy where I found the flags but the link doesn't seem to work right. So I guess I'll leave a description from the seller in its place.

Vintage Flags from the former Soviet Union & East Germany

* Large cloth flag from Soviet Union measures 52" x 25".
    * Cloth seems to be made of a light wool and is moth eaten. See photo.
    * Nylon flag from East Germany measures 38" x 22".
    * Nylon flag is is good condition.
    * East German flag purchased in East Berlin in March of 1989, after crossing Checkpoint Charlie from West Berlin.
    * Soviet flag acquired in Moscow in 1992.
    * Small flag (3.5" x 7") on wooden pole with 6 Russian plastic pins attached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet and East German Flag   Soviet and East German Flag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet and East German Flag
    P
    Many

Default GDR and Soviet flag

The flags are okay. Also the price seems good to me.
    East German flags are mostly made of polyester/nylon. Cotton was a rare natural product that had to be imported into the GDR.
    It was therefore expensive because it had to be paid in Western currencies.
    In the GDR many plastics were developed. Just think of the plastic car body of the Trabant.
    That the flag was purchased in the former East Berlin is not that strange. In 1989, the year of the fall of the Berlin Wall and shortly after you could buy the GDR flag and other GDR memorablia everywhere in Berlin. Even today you find them in Berlin. You will encounter East German flags in many sizes.
    The same applies to the Soviet flag. After the collapse of the Soviet Union at the end of 1991 it had become redundant. A Soviet flag does not necessarily have to be made in the Soviet Union but looking at the "CCCP" stamp, I think it was manufactured in the former Soviet Union.

East German militaria seems to be a good area to branch into if you're looking for an inexpensive way to supplement your existing collection. Out of curiosity, I have just done some searching for original DDR militaria, and was astonished at just how cheap everything is. I understand that the existence of the DDR, and the Soviet Union by extension, is still within the lifetimes of most people alive today.

The prices really are a breath of fresh air compared to anything and everything Third Reich. I was astonished to see a complete East German uniform selling for £30. The WWII-era equivalent would add a couple of zeroes to that figure!

I can see areas like this becoming far more popular amongst collectors in the coming decades! Although one cannot dictate or predict future market forces, this would probably be a sensible area to invest in.

B.B.