Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A Soviet flag with a difference.

Article about: Hi Guys, here is a flag from my collection. But it was not made in the USSR, but was made in Britain in 1945. As the Soviet Union was our ally, their flag would be used at many official even

Default A Soviet flag with a difference.

Hi Guys, here is a flag from my collection.

But it was not made in the USSR, but was made in Britain in 1945. As the Soviet Union was our ally, their flag would be used at many official events, displayed alongside the US, French, Chinese flags etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Soviet flag with a difference.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Soviet flag with a difference.
    P
    Many

Default Re: A Soviet flag with a difference.

The flag is screen printed.

The "WD" War Department inspection mark of the "Broad Arrow" is stamped to show it has passed inspection and is the property of the Army.
    Attached Images Attached Images A Soviet flag with a difference. 

The makers markings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Soviet flag with a difference.  

?

Probably it's ships flag? My father was in service in the civil fleet, and I have seen different flags of "Capitalists" countries.
    Very nice and big hammer and circle!
    And nice date!

Shown here are two Soviet flags with a slightly different provenance.

Take it as you wish, but I bought the story as well as the only two Soviet-related flags from a local (now deceased) veteran G.I.'s "collection"...

According to his widow, the claim was that he worked as an assembler for this company in Manhattan from the late 1930s until late 1942. That is up until the time his draft notice arrived in his parent's Nostrand Ave, Brooklyn NY mailbox; Abacrome Inc., located in in Manhattan, and he "stole" at least one of every finished example that crossed his workbench to have as a souvenir of his "sentimentalism". I have found out that this said company produced flags for Great Britain and the USSR as a Lend-Lease contractor, as well as for regular government and civilian contracts of misc flags, banners, etc.

Being a sentimental "collector" of reminders of past jobs and sweat & stress obtained from such, I can relate to this...

Now I will shut-up already and show the aforementioned flags. Both are assembled from multiple pieces of linen:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Soviet flag with a difference.   A Soviet flag with a difference.  

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

And the inkstamp (same on both pieces):
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi Richie, your Soviet flag is very similar to mine, being made from multiple pieces of linen.

Nice story that came with them. "Always buy the item and not the story" is a good maxim to collect by, but sometimes the story is true.

Cheers, Ade.