Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern

Article about: Hello folks. My most recent purchase, bought on impulse from Espenlaub Militaria: A Soviet flag, advertised as being WW2 pattern, although Espenlaub admitted it could be an immediate postwar

Default Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern

Hello folks. My most recent purchase, bought on impulse from Espenlaub Militaria:

A Soviet flag, advertised as being WW2 pattern, although Espenlaub admitted it could be an immediate postwar example. Unlike almost every other flag of this type I've seen, the hammer and sickle and star are painted/stenciled on, as opposed to being stitched. The whole thing has a very Spartan, no frills look to it. It has no hanging attachments other than a stitched-over sleeve on the left edge.

Would be interested to know if this is likely to have seen use with the Red Army or other services during the war. Even if it hasn't, it's a nice example in my opinion, and it displays very well with my Soviet WW2 small arms collection.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern   Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern  

Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern   Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Flag, WW2 Pattern
    P
    Many

Giving this one a little update. Seems it was overlooked when I posted it, and I don't want to start another topic featuring the same piece.

Many thanks, B.B.

?

Hello,
    I cann't see from the photo myself what kind of paint is used.
    Is it rubber based? If so, then I think it is a much later production.
    Just a thought to support the thread.

It looks as if it was applied with a stencil. I wouldn't know how to determine if it was rubber based or not.

B.B.

?

I am sceptical. But let's see what other, more experienced, people have to say.

I'm not a flag expert yet I can see a very poor hammer/sickle/star images so that it is more likely to be a postwar copy.

Default Soviet WWII flag

It is a very nice Soviet flag that you have bought. Have you read this topic; Soviet Flag ?
    In this topic I show some of my (small) Soviet flags. The big dark red Soviet flag comes from a former Soviet army base in East Germany. It also has a stitched-over sleeve like yours. Because of its dark red colour I would say it is from the period 1955-1980. It can be made in the former Soviet-Union but also in East Germany.

In my opinion is it not so easy to date an unmarked Soviet flag. That is what Espenlaub militaria actually claim about the flag they have sold to you . It could be war-dated but also post-war.