Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SA Standard from Vienna

Article about: A pretty piece. The first thing I ever wanted, back 45 years ago, when I started collecting, was a Deutschland Erwache standard from a well known city. I always hoped for one from Munchen, b

?

Default Re: SA Standard from Vienna

The book about the resurrection of the SS and SA units sounds very interesting--I have a large library of period and newer SA related books as well as at least one HW NW photo album. I'd like to know the title and author if possible.
    I know there is a new color book of Frentz's photos taken related to the Anschluß (oops, I mean Anschluss now that the 'ß' is illegal!) that should have something with the DE Standarte pictured.
    Erich

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Standard from Vienna
    P
    Many

Dear Colleague, I shall post the titles I have at hand tomorrow. The one volume in detail on the reorganization of the SA and SS in Vienna I did not buy, but I shall get the title. It is on the Anschluss in Vienna, generally, with an interesting treatment of the theme so mentioned. Is there a Frentz volume just on the Anschluss other than from that neo-Nazi publishing house?

I shall post these things tomorrow.

Happy reading and collecting.

At the risk of being impertinent, let us hope we can keep this site such a place where one can openly admit to having a large library of works on this subject versus other sites which seem to revel in the opposite. I know that Adrian Stevenson is committed to this principle. Let us hope that this spirit can endure.

The book to which I referred is, in fact, a new edition of one that appeared in 1988, Gerhard Botz, Nationalsozialimus in Wien: Machtuebernahme und Herrschaftssicherung The work contains a discussion on the reorganization and reinforcement of these SA and SS units after March 1938.

Botz is a very well known scholar. I am sure you can get the book from Amazon.de or all the knock offs of same in Germany and Austria.

Happy reading.

?

Thank you for the information pertaining to the book. I'll have to check with Amazon.de for that.
    The Frentz book is, I believe, part of the series published by Arndt, which is, I suppose, the one to which you refer. My main complaint would not be their political views, but rather the fact that they don't use glossy paper or a high enough resolution for the printing of the photographs. They tend to look less sharp and bright than they should.
    Erich

Many of the Frentz pictures are in the Ullstein website. The Jaeger ones are in the Time/Life website. I guess you could simply secure them directly, at whatever expense is involved. The Anschluss volume is cheaply done, but the historical interpretations in the text portion is straight out of a pretty brown locale, actually. I am fairly water proof when it comes to this genre of literature in post-1945 Germany and Austria, but I sometimes choke when I read certain of the assertions. To their credit, the Arndt authors use footnotes, such as they are: deutsche Wertarbeit!

When I have time, I shall post the titles of some other illustrated works from Austria on the NS period. I am frequently in Vienna, and I try to get what is on the market.

The Botz thing is a reprint, which I did not recognize in my haste. I was in the Thalia Buecherei on the Mariahilferstrasse, which is a very good chain of stores. Morawa is also very good, as is Kubitsch near the Schottenring.

Vienna still has book stores and movie theaters, unlike hereabouts, where every one is crouched in front of their little screen. How drole.

Rich Moran
    ?

I always wonder why there are so few posts or recognition regarding these early years of Hitlers rise to power and things that occured in the years he spent in Austria.

My contention has always been with all of this, such as the street battles, Coburg, Dolfuss and the Anschluss, there would have not been an SS or WWII for that fact. With the vanguard of collectors always on the hunt for things SS it leaves me puzzled today as it has for years as to why the mass of collectors ingores what happened and these artitifacts related to the early times.

Please do not take this post negatively those who main interest is that in the SS, as they too had their place in the rise in the 30's as well as the post is not intended to start a war of words, but only that to understand why this part of the Reichs history has been so sorley ignored.

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    I always wonder why there are so few posts or recognition regarding these early years of Hitlers rise to power and things that occured in the years he spent in Austria.

My contention has always been with all of this, such as the street battles, Coburg, Dolfuss and the Anschluss, there would have not been an SS or WWII for that fact. With the vanguard of collectors always on the hunt for things SS it leaves me puzzled today as it has for years as to why the mass of collectors ingores what happened and these artitifacts related to the early times.

Please do not take this post negatively those who main interest is that in the SS, as they too had their place in the rise in the 30's as well as the post is not intended to start a war of words, but only that to understand why this part of the Reichs history has been so sorley ignored.
    You make a very valid point. The disappointed veteran or the young man too green to have seen combat in the 1914-1918 war became the street fighter of 1919 or 1923 or 1930. Look at the biographies of these men.

I, for one, am deeply interested in these people, since I have always been interested in early SS uniforms.

The collector taste mirrors that of the regime at the height of its power, that is, one focuses on Ritterkreuztraeger and on men in combat after 1939 or so. This was the image fostered by propaganda at the time.

However, Goebbels found his first success as Gauleiter of Berlin with the manufacture of the legendary Horst Wessel. We are grateful to Boc Coleman for his contributions there. The early history of NSDAP and per force of the SA is always very interesting, really.

The Austrian case is very interesting because of the onset of political violence there from 1927 onwards, the outbreak of civil war in 1934 once the Dollfuss regime took hold and then the denouement with the Anschluss.

All this being said, many collectors on other sites sadly do not know much of this history at all, and really do not seem to care. The History Channel in the US is not too helpful either, since it promotes a pretty two dimensional view of these things. Documentaries in the UK and the FRG are better, especially such things as "Arte" or even the Koop things.

Thanks for the intervention.

This sort of thing....this illustration appears in the Deutschland Erwacht cigarette album, as you all know...one of the Hoffmann picture works of great popularity....it goes to show how you can market political violence and upheaval in a compelling way. Today it is done in the internet, but those those who do it today are hardly pioneers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Standard from Vienna  

oldflagswanted
    ?

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    The standard for Vienna was consectared
    by the Blood Flag in 1927, making it one of the
    first 24 Deutschland Erwache standards. In 1927, 12 were
    consecrated. The Vienna standard bears the plaque of the
    1929 Nurnburg Party Rally. Photo attached.
    Bob Hritz
    Bob:
    Great to see the Wein DE pole rally plaque - very cool!
    Does your eagle/wreath top pole shaft have screw holes
    on both sides from the box being turned around in 1933?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast