Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Can anyone provide additional details on this item found in Europe during WW2?

Article about: Any details would be beneficial, such as approximate location, the overall significance/symbolism of the crest. I wonder if anyone has seen a similar item before. It is a crest that is stitc

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this super item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Real nice item and as stated a rare flag

Hi Bob Lyons, in an above post you mentioned "the all weather cello cover is gone, just the pennant". Can you provide additional details on what an all weather cello cover is? Would that have been a protective cover that may have originally covered the flag?

MAP
    ?

Quote by joeldesaulniers View Post
    Hi Bob Lyons, in an above post you mentioned "the all weather cello cover is gone, just the pennant". Can you provide additional details on what an all weather cello cover is? Would that have been a protective cover that may have originally covered the flag?
    Joe...correct. A cellophane cover would be over this to protect and give it rigidity when attached to the fender of a car.

Amazing item. Great to see items like this pop up. And you came to the correct place to find your answers. The best of the best are here to provide help.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'd like to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. I was able to find a video that shows the same flag on Grand Admiral Doenitz's car which confirms that the flag was present on a car and it was also in a clear case back then. Here's a link to the video, the flag is visible within the first 10 seconds of play. I wonder how many of these specific flags were created. Stock Footage - Admiral Doenitz inspects German submarine crews in Germany.

that's 1 flag I would dearly love to have.

?

That is a superb item. I wonder if it could have come from Dönitz's headquarters at Flensburg, which briefly (30 April 1945 – 23 May 1945) became the seat of the German government after Dönitz succeeded Hitler. I can't imagine that there can have been many vehicle pennants like this and that it was presumably only flown on whatever car he was driven in.

Regards, Philip

Very nice item thanks for posting.
    Not very many of them around!
    Steve

To answer the question raised by joeldesaulniers, here is a photo of one of my vehicle pennants, this one was from the vehicle of Generalleutnant Hermann Plocher, the Commander
    of the 6th FJ Division in Holland in late 44 and into 1945, this was taken from his car by a Canadian soldier when the Germans surrendered in Holland, May 1945. This pennant
    still has the all weather (Cello) cover fully intact. They become brittle over time and sometimes crack and break over the years if they are not stored correctly. Most large units
    had the vehicle pennants for the higher general staff stored away in case of visits, so a reasonable amount of them survived the war as souvineers etc, most of them are just the
    printed type on cotton, or sometimes in the chain stitched versions (or even painted onto a metal pennant), the bullion examples are a lot more scarce.

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General's Flag 002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	766847  

Thanks Bob. Great picture! I will definitely be framing my flag to preserve it, the flag is showing age but the bullion itself is still looking very good. I want it to last forever. My grandfather was in Europe from January 1945 to November 1945, and I believe at that time the Canadian Infantry unit he was with had an involvement with liberating the Netherlands and then proceeding into Germany. I'm not 100% sure though, but that would indicate the origins of where he recovered the Grand Admiral Doenitz flag I have. I'm not sure if I'll be able to obtain more details than that, I'd also be curious to know if anyone else on these forums has a similar flag in their possession.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast