Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches

Article about: Another recent purchase. I was lucky enough to buy a collection of flags (non have been listed yet - as I don't want to sell atm) and this "early thin" storm flag with 5 patches -

Default Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches

Another recent purchase.
    I was lucky enough to buy a collection of flags (non have been listed yet - as I don't want to sell atm) and this "early thin" storm flag with 5 patches - on each side!!! This was certainly the cherry.
    It appears to have been ripped from the pole

I........ along with some help from others (wilhelm), have done some research on this one - and it tells quite a story....

Standarte 63 was based in Frankfurt a. Main In 1935, 1936 and possibly earlier 99 (Hattingen) was from the Westfalen-district, brigade 69 from Hagen.
    For this reason the traditions patches had to be included according to 1938 (and earlier) regulation........9 is from the early thirties, but no exact information (list of SA units) is known.

Every Sturmfahne was supposed to be 'consecrated' by touching it to the related Deutschland Erwache Standard, which would have been touched to the Blood Flag. So, the Sturmfahnen were not just flags, but were considered to have a direct connection to the Blood Flag, and thus, in a mystical 3rd Reich way, to the martyrs of 9. November 1923. You can see, in period photos, SA Sturmfahnen of various types with earlier or later proportions, variant pole connections, of slightly varying size, with or without fringe, etc. , paraded together during SA and NSDAP events.

Along with SA Standarte 81, St 63 was responsible for south Hessia's first concentration camp that opened in May 1933 in an old factory, the so-called "Perlenfabrik" in FFM-Ginnheim. The camp became known for the torture and cruelty of the SA men who mistreated the prisoners, mostly communists and union members, who were initially incarcerated there.

Later, in October 1941, SA Standarte 63 was given the task of rounding up Jewish residents of Frankfurt's Westend district for deportation. The special action turned into confusion when the Gestapo didn't show up in time to seal the apartments of the evicted Jews and move the people to collection points. Subsequently, the hundreds of Jews were marched through the city.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches   Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches  

Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches   Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches  

Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early “thin Swastika” Storm Flag with 5 different area patches
    P
    Many

John, nice to see this flag with that many traditions-patches.

a) The 9 was the first unit to which this flag was granted. A specific date I cannot find,
    but may have been 1931 and may have existed at the Pommern-district or Mitte;
    b) the flag was in about 1932 transferred to 25/81, which is Frankfurt/Main in Hessen
    and was part for brigade 49. It is possible 81 existed first at the West-district, but a
    final conclusion is not possible with the material I have;
    c) in about early 1933 the flag then was transferred to 25/99 and later 9/99, being
    Hattingen in Westfalen. The constant transferring was caused by the many SA re-
    organizations and districts-corrections in the years 1932 and 1933;
    d) in about mid-1933 the flag must have been again transferred, but now to 22/63,
    which is Frankfurt/Main in Hessen again, being a part for brigade 49. It remained
    for sure brigade 49 into mid-war.

Dates are global as no exact information about the transferring is available.

There speaks a true "Expert" Thanks Wilhelm - as always, great and valid information