Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Is this flag fake?

Article about: I've had this flag for almost 30 years. It is approximately 56X25 inches or 142X63 centimeters. There is not anything on the flag to hang it up or mount on flag pole. The center is sewn on a

Default Is this flag fake?

I've had this flag for almost 30 years. It is approximately 56X25 inches or 142X63 centimeters. There is not anything on the flag to hang it up or mount on flag pole. The center is sewn on and it is a heavier material, possibly canvas. A militaria dealer told me about 20 years ago that it was not original and likely a flag made to be used as a stage prop. It did pass a black light test. Any thoughts on this one?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this flag fake?   Is this flag fake?  

Is this flag fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this flag fake?
    P
    Many

The material-particularly of the swastika-is certainly not like any that I've ever seen. The shininess of it raises all sorts of alarm bells. Personally, I'd be inclined to agree that it's not a good one. It doesn't look at all as a period piece should. The lack of any means to hang it or even drape it is another bad sign.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

How is the Hakenkreuz applied? It looks like an iron on material! Is it two sided? It exhibits all the proper size and placement dimensions for a period banner. If it is a prop then the folks who made it did their research quite well. I once loaned an original banner to a local theater presenting Sound of Music. They made two exact replicas and I offered to buy them after the show closed but they went to a New York based costume/prop house for future use. I think they got $200 credit each! Any markings? NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    How is the Hakenkreuz applied? It looks like an iron on material! Is it two sided? It exhibits all the proper size and placement dimensions for a period banner. If it is a prop then the folks who made it did their research quite well. I once loaned an original banner to a local theater presenting Sound of Music. They made two exact replicas and I offered to buy them after the show closed but they went to a New York based costume/prop house for future use. I think they got $200 credit each! Any markings? NH
    The disc is sewn on as shown in the second photo. The hakenkreuz is dyed or maybe ink. I agree that if it is a stage prop, whoever made it did a good job. There are no markings on it. What gives me a "red flag" is that the disc is of thicker construction than I have ever seen. I bought this back before I knew anything about original flags.

I'd be concerned about the black swastika myself. The shiny aspect is very unusual. The originals I've seen and those I have don't exhibit the cross stitching around the roundel (white part) either, but a linear stitch around it like the photo below. I've seen the cross stitching on cotton armbands, but on flags it's always been off-putting to me, though I can't say they "never" were made like that. But, they're so common I would always err towards typical construction if it were my money.

Is this flag fake?