Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Flag That Never Was

Article about: About ten years ago, I had the opportunity to add this unusual flag to my collection. It is a proposed NSDAP Gaufahne. The corner patch holds the Gau name and is bordered in Gau Bordeaux col

Quote by Pryo View Post
    Perhaps its looks modern because of the amazing condition it is in after 70 years! I can ask around the small community of collectors I know outside of the forum to see if they have any information on this
    From my understanding, this was taken out of the warehouse at Reichszugmeiterei at the end of the war and stored by an individual in Munich until his death and it was located by a picker who sold it to Peter jenkins from whom I obtained it.
    Things can not be dismissed when their condition is pristeen. Items kept in collections for 50 years or properly stored by a vet can have a remarkable appearance. Newer collectors are too used to seeing stuff that has come out more recently and did not get the care it deserved.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Flag That Never Was
    P
    Many

?

I love stories attached to items, even if they don't have war tales. Its a small adventure.

?

Bob, I don't think you need to defend your stance on this item..
    You are more than qualifed ( More so than others ) on this and many other items pertaining
    to Third Reich Militaria and other military items as well..... If " You" say it is "SO" I will believe... Gwar

Going back to the expertise on period typewriter fonts and fonts in general together with typographic convention of the period these are areas that have thus far not come under serious study as far as I am aware.

Ignoring any incorrect language usage I have seen many instances of incorrect fonts for the period typeset with letterspacing (kerning) that can only be the result of phototypesetting or digital creation rather than letterpress slugs.

The member was right to draw peoples attention to font usage as an area to look at but IMO wrong in his assessment which was not backed up with any supporting research examples.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Being new to the hobby, I find questioning and debate regarding authenticity very interesting and educational. At any rate, that is a very nice and interesting flag.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Being new to the hobby, I find questioning and debate regarding authenticity very interesting and educational. At any rate, that is a very nice and interesting flag.
    Agreed, though I feel this should only be when members are posting their item(s) for review. In this case Bob was just sharing and didn't ask for help nor opinions of its authenticity, especially ones which have absolutely no factual merit.

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Bob, This is in no means a slight towards you or you banner / flag.. Perhaps if a Non-Moderator had presented this item they would have been shredded to pulp by now.. Again ..No offense ..Just my two cents.. Gwar
    Maybe elsewhere, but such is not the norm here. There are too many knowledge members who follow these threads that will and do intervene. The key to this, as been stated, is assessing the item in its entirety. I think it's plainly clear the flag contains the correct material and construction one looks for in a original example. As for the font, I have many paper documents and even one which has a very, if not identical, font as found on the flags tag. I will provide images when time permits.

Even experienced collectors are not infallible...to use that well worn cliche "to err is human".

"...I have never been able to find any further information on them." is an invitation to discuss rather than a mere statement of fact.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Even experienced collectors are not infallible...to use that well worn cliche "to err is human".
    Lord knows I've contributed my share of mistakes to this forum as well elsewhere. I hope my post aren't being interrupted as myself being robust and condescending. Such was not my intent. I'd just hate to see members become hesitant in sharing their items due to fear of a inaccurate assessment destroying its reputation.

I disagree with what you've since added to your last post Stefan. If such was a invitation, it would've been worded in a different format and contained a request within it. It appears to me Bob knows exactly what is in his possession from his prior comments, but enough with the minutiae semantics, as now we are debating someone's intent.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Agreed, though I feel this should only be when members are posting their item(s) for review. In this case Bob was just sharing and didn't ask for help nor opinions of its authenticity, especially ones which have absolutely no factual merit.
    Frankly, I find it utterly inacceptable that discussion of an item should only take place if it is actively encouraged. That would be nothing but self-imposed prefab censorship.

(Just to make it clear: I do not doubt the authenticity of this flag or Bob Coleman's expertise. It's a general observation and matter of principle.)

I am all in favour of having closed threads if the sole purpose of that thread is to present such photos for information and without discussion such as Stonemint's excellent caps/hats reference threads for example.

But I do not think that was the purpose here and Bob has responded politely and correctly with those less experienced members who have voiced an opinion about the OP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast