Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German Flag.

Article about: Hello all Collectors! i got a chance to buy this flag i think its a good original but would like to hear your oppinions to. the flag is 183x83 cm would be nice to also here what is a decent

MAP
    ?

I'll leave it to others about the flag itself but this looks like some very recent aging. The flag looks like it was thrown in some wet dirt just yesterday.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Flag.
    P
    Many

Less is more as they say. Sure looks like someone has gone to absurd lengths to try to convey credibility. I agree stitching looks poorly done.

I took this one to the biggest swedish auction house Militaria - Mynt, Vapen & Medaljer - Bukowskis - Bukowskis.
    They checked the flag with with UV ligths and and the stitching material and said all was good and they was sure the flag is good original. they wanted money for print authenticity. who shall you trust and listen to, on the forum is only pics...
    would ne nice to hear what you think can you say its 100 percent fake just from this pics?

Best regards Tobias

The fact that the wear and tear looks recent, and the overuse of stamps would be enough to make me run from this one. Of all the NSDAP flags I've seen on reputable dealer sites, they were all plain. None of them had ink stamps such as the ones seen here. It very well could be an original flag, but one that's been tarted up. Perhaps the idea was to give it more provenance - illegitimate as it may be - to increase the resale price.

And to add, as you've already said: I'd much sooner trust the collectors here, with many years of experience buying, selling and handling these flags, than an auction house. Not to discredit said auction house, especially if it is very reputable. But I'd sooner trust those who have a real passion for history, than what is essentially a business whose primary goal is to make money.

Regards, B.B.

and i probably trust the collectors here at the forum more than auction house who want $$$ i know to little myself rigth now to decide....

Don't like it from the first pic. Red color is non-standard, graphics are "off"...stitching is hastily done.
    Unless it was privately made...it's not convincing as being of the period IMO.

So many of these for sale at reasonable prices that are one look originals. The market (in the US) is somewhat flooded with this type flag

Tobias,

Remember this too my friend,, Even the most highly respected and reputable auction houses have fakes come through their doors. It is just impossible to properly evaluate everything that comes in and who on their staff is claiming this to be original.. As BB has mentioned, I am not attempting to discredit or bash the auction house in any way, just looking and knowing what to look at and after having many flags in my collection, I would be very suspicious of this one... The biggest issue is also the lack of Provenance with this item. Other members have also added their doubts to this one regarding color, fabric, stitching, ect..

There are plenty of original flags out there to be had...

Patience and research my friend.....And you are doing a great thing.. you are asking questions... and you are getting some good feedback from the members here as well...

Smitty

Ok thank you all for your input about this flag and i finally decided to walk away, the seller seemed very nice and let me check it at auction house she was an old woman no collector and she did not have a clue of value, just said it was from her dead husband. i trust the old lady but i guess her husband bougth this in the 80ies in good belief. do you you know when they started repro this flag?? maybe its been goin on since the fall of the reich. sorry for crappy english. thank you all.

MAP
    ?

I'm not sure about flags but fakes we're made on other items even while the war was going on!!!!!!

And immediately post war there was a thriving trade of fakes as soldiers wanted to bring something home. We see it with awards and daggers all the time (some are even collectible these days).

I have a repro flag that I got in the early 70's as a young boy. It was made in the US (I use it to stage my photos these days) and I know they were made decades before.

Originals are easy to find and not expensive. They were made in the millions and many can be found that were never even used. Probably found in wearhouses post war
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you watch movies about WW2...fictional stories produced during the war, one can observe countless wardrobe "follies" & stage props such as banners, flags, vehicles, uniforms...well everything was created for the stage or films while the war was in progress. Much of it being almost ridiculous to a trained eye.
    So yes, the stuff has been reproduced since the 1940's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast